Asymptotic Efficiency of the OLS Estimator with Singular Limiting Sample Moment Matrices
This paper presents a time series model that has an asymptotically efficient ordinary least squares (OLS) estimator, irrespective of the singularity of its limiting sample moment matrices. In the literature on stationary time series analysis, Grenander and Rosenblatt's (1957) (G-R) classical result is used to judge the asymptotic efficiency of regression coefficients on deterministic regressors satisfying Grenander's condition. Without this condition, however, it is not obvious that the model is efficient. In this paper, we introduce such a model by proving the efficiency of the model with a slowly varying (SV) regressor under the same condition on error terms constrained in G-R. This kind of regressor is known to display asymptotic singularity in the sample moment matrices, as in Phillips (2007), such that Grenander's condition fails.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2007.
"Estimating Deterministic Trend with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2007-020, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Perron, Pierre & Yabu, Tomoyoshi, 2009. "Estimating deterministic trends with an integrated or stationary noise component," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 56-69, July.
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2005. "Estimating Deterministric Trends with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-037, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, . "Estimating Deterministic Trends with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-012, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Feb 2006.
- Shin, Dong Wan & Oh, Man Suk, 2002. "Asymptotic Efficiency Of The Ordinary Least Squares Estimator For Regressions With Unstable Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1121-1138, October.
- Kramer, Walter & Hassler, Uwe, 1998.
"Limiting efficiency of OLS vs. GLS when regressors are fractionally integrated,"
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 285-290, September.
- Krämer, Walter & Hassler, Uwe, 1997. "Limiting efficiency of OLS vs. GLS when regressors are fractionally integrated," Technical Reports 1997,01, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Timothy J. Vogelsang, 1998. "Trend Function Hypothesis Testing in the Presence of Serial Correlation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 123-148, January.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007. "Regression With Slowly Varying Regressors And Nonlinear Trends," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 557-614, August.
- Mynbaev, Kairat T., 2009. "Central Limit Theorems For Weighted Sums Of Linear Processes: Lp -Approximability Versus Brownian Motion," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 748-763, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hst:ghsdps:gd11-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.