Fiscal Decentralization, Macrostability And Growth
This paper examines how fiscal decentralization may influence economic growth. Previous research on this question has primarily focused on the direct relationship between decentralization and growth. In this paper, we also incorporate the potential indirect influence of decentralization on growth through its impact on macroeconomic stability. We build an augmented neoclassical model of economic growth that allows for both the direct and indirect effects of fiscal decentralization on economic growth. Using panel data, we find that decentralization appears to reduce the rate of inflation in the sample countries, does not appear to directly influence economic growth, and has an indirect, positive effect on growth through its positive influence on macroeconomic stability. An important contribution of the paper is to identify the role of the indirect effects of fiscal decentralization on economic growth.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Stegarescu, Dan, 2004. "Public Sector Decentralization: Measurement Concepts and Recent International Trends," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- de la Fuente, Angel & Doménech, Rafael, 2000.
"Human Capital In Growth Regressions: How Much Difference Does Data Quality Make?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2466, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Doménech, 2006. "Human Capital in Growth Regressions: How Much Difference Does Data Quality Make?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 1-36, 03.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Donénech, 2000. "Human Capital in Growth Regressions: How much Difference Does Data Quality Make?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 262, OECD Publishing.
- ?gel de la Fuente & Rafael Dom?ech, . "Human Capital In Growth Regressions: How Much Difference Does Data Quality Make?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 446.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- Ulrich Thießen, 2003. "Fiscal Decentralisation and Economic Growth in High-Income OECD Countries," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 24(3), pages 237-274, September.
- Tao Zhang & Heng-fu Zou, 1997. "Fiscal Decentralization, the Composition of Public Spending, and Regional Growth in India," CEMA Working Papers 521, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- John Anderson & Hendrik van den Berg, 1998. "Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size: An International Test for Leviathan Accounting for Unmeasured Economic Activity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 171-186, May.
- Robalino, David A. & Picazo, Oscar F. & Voetberg, Albertus, 2001. "Does fiscal decentralization improve health outcomes? - evidence from a cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2565, The World Bank.
- Panizza, Ugo, 1999. "On the determinants of fiscal centralization: Theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 97-139, October.
- Sewell, David O, 1996. ""The Dangers of Decentralization" According to Prud'homme: Some Further Aspects," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 143-50, February.
- Ernesto H. Stein, 1998.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4112, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ernesto Stein, 1999. "Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 357-391, November.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jorge M. Streb, 1998. "Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6436, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Shah, Anwar, 1998.
"Fiscal federalism and macroeconomic governance : for better or for worse?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2005, The World Bank.
- Anwar Shah, 2014. "Fiscal federalism and macroeconomic governance : for better or for worse?," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(1), pages 200-240, May.
- Anwar Shah, 2008. "Fiscal federalism and macroeconomic governance : for better or for worse?," CEMA Working Papers 584, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Gary Woller & Kerk Phillips, 1998. "Fiscal decentralisation and IDC economic growth: An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 139-148.
- Weingast, Barry R, 1995. "The Economic Role of Political Institutions: Market-Preserving Federalism and Economic Development," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 1-31, April.
- Philip R. Gerson, 1998. "The Impact of Fiscal Policy Variables on Output Growth," IMF Working Papers 98/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997.
"From Federalism, Chinese Style to Privatization, Chinese style,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
126, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1999. "From federalism, Chinese style to privatization, Chinese style," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 103-131, March.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997. "From Federalism, Chinese Style, to Privatization, Chinese Style," Working Papers 97049, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Cao Yuanzheng, & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry, 1998. "From Federalism, Chinese Style, to Privatization, Chinese Style," CEPR Discussion Papers 1838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ulrich Thießen, 2000. "Fiscal Federalism in Western European and Selected Other Countries: Centralization or Decentralization? What Is Better for Economic Growth?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 224, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 1999. "Sources of Economic Growth; An Extensive Growth Accounting Exercise," IMF Working Papers 99/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Nazrul Islam, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-1170.
- Jonathan A. Rodden & Gunnar S. Eskeland (ed.), 2003. "Fiscal Decentralization and the Challenge of Hard Budget Constraints," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182297.
- Gabriele Tondl, 1999. "What Determined the Uneven Growth of Europe´s Southern Regions? An Empirical Study with Panel Data," Working Papers geewp04, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:wpaper:y:2003:i:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.