Foreign Exchange Exposure and Exchange Rate Arrangements in East Asia
This paper shows that many East Asian firms are significantly exposed to foreign exchange risk. Their exposure appears to be much more widespread than is typical for the large industrialized economies. The East Asian firms are most exposed to fluctuations in the U.S. dollar, though the mark and yen are important in a few countries. The extent of exchange rate exposure has varied over the last decade, but it does not appear to have diminished. The most widespread exchange rate sensitivity (not just the most exchange rate fluctuation) occurred during the Asian Crisis period; this is evident even after accounting for the local macroeconomic conditions that affect aggregate local returns. Finally, the East Asian evidence examined here provides no support for the idea that an exchange rate peg reduces foreign exchange exposure.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jia He & Lilian K. Ng, 1998. "The Foreign Exchange Exposure of Japanese Multinational Corporations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 733-753, 04.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," NBER Working Papers 7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1993.
"Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rates and External Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
4378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S., 1995. "Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 297-320, May.
- Goldberg, L.S. & Campa, J., 1993. "Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rate and External Exposure," Working Papers 93-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- George Allayannis & Jane Ihrig & James P. Weston, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Hedging: Financial versus Operational Strategies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 391-395, May.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & M.H. Franco Wong, 2000. "Estimating Exchange Rate Exposures: Some "Weighty" Issues," NBER Working Papers 7497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Sandra & Howe, John S. & Popper, Helen, 1997.
"The exchange rate exposure of U.S. and Japanese banking institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 871-892, June.
- Sandra Chamberlain & John S. Howe & Helen Popper, 1995. "The exchange rate exposure of U.S. and Japanese banking institutions," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-11, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sandra L. Chamberlain & John S. Howe & Helen Popper, 1996. "The Exchange Rate Exposure of U.S. and Japanese Banking Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-55, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Parsley, David C & Popper, Helen A, 2001. "Official Exchange Rate Arrangements and Real Exchange Rate Behavior," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 976-93, November.
- Chow, Edward H & Lee, Wayne Y & Solt, Michael E, 1997. "The Exchange-Rate Risk Exposure of Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 105-23, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:172002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.