Changes in Investors' Risk Appetite - An Assessment of Financial Integration and Interdependence
Investors' attitude towards risk is a key factor driving the movement in asset prices. Global reduction in investors' risk appetite has coincided with episodes of global financial market correction. In this paper, we derive a measure for risk appetite based on the methodology of Gai and Vause (2006) for investors in the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, and Hong Kong, and use them to help assess the issues of financial integration and financial market interdependence. Indicators are constructed to gauge the relationship between the risk appetite and the extent of financial integration between these stock markets. The results from the indicators point to very limited financial integration between these five financial markets. Furthermore, the degree of co-movement between risk appetite measures and the stock and bond market performance is examined using the dynamic conditional correlation. The empirical results reveal that there exists interdependence between the changes in the risk appetite and the stock market returns in the US, Japan and Hong Kong, while the "flight-to-quality" phenomenon is apparent in the bond market of the five economies.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central|
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prasanna Gai & Nicholas Vause, 2006.
"Measuring Investors' Risk Appetite,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(1), March.
- Gai, Prasanna & Vause, Nicholas, 2005. "Measuring Investors' Risk Appetite," MPRA Paper 818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prasanna Gai & Nicholas Vause, 2005. "Measuring investors' risk appetite," Bank of England working papers 283, Bank of England.
- Kumar, Manmohan S & Persaud, Avinash, 2002. "Pure Contagion and Investors' Shifting Risk Appetite: Analytical Issues and Empirical Evidence," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 401-436, Winter.
- Korajczyk, Robert A, 1996. "A Measure of Stock Market Integration for Developed and Emerging Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 267-289, May.
- Korajczyk, Robert A., 1995. "A measure of stock market integration for developed and emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1482, The World Bank.
- Kpate ADJAOUTÉ & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2003. "European Financial Integration and Equity Returns: A Theory-Based Assessment," FAME Research Paper Series rp84, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Tobias Adrian, 2007. "Measuring risk in the hedge fund sector," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 13(Mar).
- Coudert, V. & Gex, M., 2006. "Can risk aversion indicators anticipate financial crises?," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 9, pages 67-87, December.
- Haldane, A G & Hall, S G, 1991. "Sterling's Relationship with the Dollar and the Deutschemark: 1976-89," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 436-443, May.
- Manning, Neil, 2002. "Common trends and convergence? South East Asian equity markets, 1988-1999," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 183-202, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkg:wpaper:0812. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.