A Measure of Stock Market Integration for Developed and Emerging Markets
A wide array of official capital controls across countries makes it difficult to perform cross-sectional analysis of the effects of market segmentation. This article constructs a measure of deviations from capital market integration that can be consistently applied across countries. It measures the deviations of asset returns from an equilibrium model of returns constructed assuming market integration. Applying the measure to stock returns from twenty-four national markets indicates that market segmentation tends to be much larger for emerging markets than for developed markets, and that the measure tends to decrease over time. Along several dimensions, the proposed measure yields results that are consistent with reasonable priors about the relations between effective integration and explicit capital controls, capital market development, and economic growth. Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 10 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: https://academic.oup.com/wber
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Chamberlain & Michael Rothschild, 1981. "Arbitrage and Mean-Variance Analysis on Large Asset Markets," NBER Technical Working Papers 0015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Errunza, Vihang R. & Losq, Etienne, 1985. "The behavior of stock prices on LDC markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 561-575, December.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976.
"The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Connor, Gregory & Korajczyk, Robert A, 1993. " A Test for the Number of Factors in an Approximate Factor Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1263-1291, September.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995. "Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R, 1995. " Time-Varying World Market Integration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 403-444, June.
- Bonser-Neal, Catherine, et al, 1990. " International Investment Restrictions and Closed-End Country Fund Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 523-547, June.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Bekaert, Geert, 1995. "Market Integration and Investment Barriers in Emerging Equity Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 75-107, January.
- Bailey, Warren & Jagtiani, Julapa, 1994. "Foreign ownership restrictions and stock prices in the Thai capital market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 57-87, August.
- Levine, Ross, 1989. "An International Arbitrage Pricing Model with PPP Deviations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(4), pages 587-599, October.
- Ross Levine, 1986. "An international arbitrage pricing model with PPP deviations," International Finance Discussion Papers 294, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hietala, Pekka T, 1989. " Asset Pricing in Partially Segmented Markets: Evidence from the Finnish Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 697-718, July.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Huberman, Gur, 1982. "A simple approach to arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 183-191, October.
- Gregory Connor and Robert Korajczyk., 1987. "An Intertemporal Equilibrium Beta Pricing Model," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 176, University of California at Berkeley.
- Connor, Gregory, 1984. "A unified beta pricing theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 13-31, October.
- Cumby, Robert E., 1990. "Consumption risk and international equity returns: some empirical evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 182-192, June.
- Chuppe, Terry M. & Atkin, Michael, 1992. "Regulation of securities markets : some recent trends and their implications for emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 829, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Dasgupta, Susmita & Glen, Jack, 1995. "The cross-section of stock returns : evidence from emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1505, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbecrv:v:10:y:1996:i:2:p:267-89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.