Shortages and the Informal Economy in the Soviet Republics: 1965-1989
We measure the informal economy and shortages of consumer goods in the Soviet republics from 1965 to 1989 to estimate the relationships of these two variables. We use fixed-effect model and instrument variable approach and find that the informal economy and shortages reinforce each other. Results indicate that the Soviet central planning system is difficult to sustain in the long run. A substantial heterogeneity across the Soviet republics exists not only in the extent of the informal economy and shortages, but also in the associations of the two variables.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/rrc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Byung Yeon, 1997.
"Soviet Household Saving Function,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 30(2-3), pages 181-203.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon, 2003. "Informal economy activities of Soviet households: size and dynamics," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 532-551, September.
- Harrison, Mark & Kim, Byung-Yeon, 2006. "Plans, Prices, and Corruption: The Soviet Firm Under Partial Centralization, 1930 to 1990," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 66(01), pages 1-41, March.
- Wojciech Charemza & Richard E. Quandt, 1982. "Models and Estimation of Disequilibrium for Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 109-116.
- Asgary, Nader & Gregory, Paul R & Mokhtari, Manouchehr, 1997. "Money Demand and Quantity Constraints: Evidence from the Soviet Interview Project," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(2), pages 365-77, April.
- Barbara Anderson & Brian Silver, 1983. "Estimating russification of ethnic identity among non-Russians in the USSR," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 20(4), pages 461-489, November.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon, 1999. "The Income, Savings, and Monetary Overhang of Soviet Households," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 644-668, December.
- Gur Ofer & Joyce Pickersgill, 1980. "Soviet Household Saving: A Cross-Section Study of Soviet Emigrant Families," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(1), pages 121-144.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:rrcwps:43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.