The Relation between Inventory Investment and Price Dynamics in a Distributive Firm
In this paper, we examine the role of inventory in the price-setting behavior of a distributive firm. Empirically, we show that probability of price change has a positive relation to the scale of the retailer’s storage and the frequency of its bargain sales. We also show a negative relation between the frequency of bargain sales and the price elasticity of demand. These results denote that price stickiness varies by the retailers’ characteristics. In this paper, we consider that the hidden mechanism of price stickiness comes from the retailer’s policy for inventory investment. We develop a partial equilibrium model of the retailer’s optimization behavior with inventory and financial restrictions. The results of the numerical experiments suggest that price change frequency depends on the retailer’s order cost, storage cost, and menu cost.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/~ifd/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, James A, 1987. "Inventories and the Volatility of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 667-79, September.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1990.
"Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
112, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anil K Kashyap, 1994. "Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs," NBER Working Papers 4855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1991. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Virgiliu Midrigan, 2013.
"Inventories, Markups, and Real Rigidities in Menu Cost Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 80(1), pages 249-276.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2008. "Inventories, Markups, and Real Rigidities in Menu Cost Models," 2008 Meeting Papers 487, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Virgiliu Midrigan, 2009. "Inventories, Markups, and Real Rigidities in Menu Cost Models," Staff Working Papers 09-6, Bank of Canada.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Virgiliu Midrigan, 2009. "Inventories, Markups, and Real Rigidities in Menu Cost Models," NBER Working Papers 14651, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abe, Naohito & Tonogi, Akiyuki, 2010. "Micro and macro price dynamics in daily data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 716-728, September.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 1999. "The Dynamics of Markups and Inventories in Retailing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(2), pages 275-308.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2002.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:rcpdwp:8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.