Fiscal Policy and Regional Business Cycle Fluctuations in Japan
This paper examines the relationship between fiscal policy and regional business cycle fluctuations in Japan. In particular, we focus on the effects of “discretionary” changes in public investment, a portion of investment unrelated to the current state of macroeconomic circumstances. The empirical results show that such types of public investment amplify regional business cycle fluctuations.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2004.
"Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel?: The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
458, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas, 2006. "Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1133-1153, August.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2002. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel? The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Fatás, Antonio & Mihov, Ilian, 1999.
"Government Size and Automatic Stabilizers: International and Intranational Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2259, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fatas, Antonio & Mihov, Ilian, 2001. "Government size and automatic stabilizers: international and intranational evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- John Shea, 1996.
"Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Shea, 1997. "Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 348-352, May.
- Okui, Ryo, 2009. "The optimal choice of moments in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Haruo KONDOH, 2008. "Political Economy of Public Capital Formation in Japan," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22604, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Roberto Perotti, 1999. "Fiscal Policy in Good Times and Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1399-1436.
- Motonari Hayashida & Geoffrey J. D. Hewings, 2009. "Regional Business Cycles in Japan," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 32(2), pages 119-147, April.
- Leif Helland & Rune Sørensen, 2009. "Geographical redistribution with disproportional representation: a politico-economic model of Norwegian road projects," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 139(1), pages 5-19, April.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Tomoyasu Tanaka, 2010.
"Productivity effects and determinants of public infrastructure investment,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 493-521, June.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Tomoyasu Tanaka, 2005. "Productivity Effects and Determinants of Public Infrastructure Investment," Discussion Papers 2005-35, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
125, Center for Global Development.
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-51, December.
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haruo KONDOH, 2008. "Political Economy of Public Capital Formation in Japan," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 4(1), pages 77-110, December.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Miyazaki, Tomomi, 2010. "The effects of fiscal policy in the 1990s in Japan: A VAR analysis with event studies," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 80-87, March.
- Pascha, Werner & Robaschik, Frank, 2001. "The role of Japanese local governments in stabilisation policy," Duisburger Arbeitspapiere Ostasienwissenschaften 40/2001, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of East Asian Studies IN-EAST.
- Michael Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011.
"The intranational business cycle in Japan,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 111-133, January.
- Miyazaki, Tomomi, 2009. "Public investment and business cycles: The case of Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 419-426, September.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, 1.
- Markus Bruckner & Anita Tuladhar, 2011. "The Effectiveness of Government Expenditures during Crisis: Evidence from Regional Government Spending in Japan 1990-2000," School of Economics Working Papers 2011-10, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Toshihiro Ihori, 2011. "Overlapping tax revenue, soft budget, and rent seeking," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 36-55, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.