A Model of Hierarchical Professionals: Cooperation and Conflict between Anesthesiologists and CRNAs
This paper examines a labor market with two professional groups both cooperating and directly competing with each other: certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) and anesthesiologists (MDAs). We develop a model where the supply of MDAs endogenously determines (1) the earnings of CRNAs and MDAs, and (2) the extent of supervision of CRNAs by MDAs. We also analyze how MDAs may lobby to limit the scope of practice of CRNAs, and the resulting market equilibrium. Our theoretical model can be applied to the analysis of relationships between other hierarchical professionals with overlapping responsibilities, such as nurse practitioners and primary care physicians.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://cei.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Dueker & Ada Jacox & David Kalist & Stephen Spurr, 2005.
"The Practice Boundaries of Advanced Practice Nurses: An Economic and Legal Analysis,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 309-330, 01.
- Michael J. Dueker & Stephen J. Spurr & Ada K. Jacox & David E. Kalist, 2005. "The practice boundaries of advanced practice nurses: an economic and legal analysis," Working Papers 2005-071, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Kleiner, Morris M. & Krueger, Alan B., 2011.
"Analyzing the Extent and Influence of Occupational Licensing on the Labor Market,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5505, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Morris M. Kleiner & Alan B. Krueger, 2013. "Analyzing the Extent and Influence of Occupational Licensing on the Labor Market," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(S1), pages S173 - S202.
- Morris M. Kleiner & Alan B. Krueger, 2009. "Analyzing the Extent and Influence of Occupational Licensing on the Labor Market," Working Papers 1178, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Morris M. Kleiner & Alan B. Krueger, 2009. "Analyzing the Extent and Influence of Occupational Licensing on the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 14979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Garicano, 2000. "Hierarchies and the Organization of Knowledge in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 874-904, October.
- Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2004. "Inequality and the Organization of Knowledge," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 197-202, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hitcei:2009-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reiko Suzuki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.