Soccer Sponsor: Fan Or Businessman?
This paper investigates how soccer sponsorship influences the financial performance of sponsors. We use an instrumental variable regression framework combined with a fixed effects model to avoid the possible endogeneity raised by omitted variables and reverse causality. The number of tweets containing both team and sponsor names were collected to use as the instrumental variable. Top European leagues were analyzed. Our results show that soccer sponsorship is more charity than commercial investment. Shareholders should be aware of sponsorship deals, and senior management should analyze the financial assumptions of cash flow forecasting for such projects carefully.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Financial Economics / FE, March 2014, pages - 13|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Myasnitskaya 20, Moscow 101000|
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eklund, Johan, 2008.
"Q-theory of Investment and Earnings Retentions - Evidence from Scandinavia,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
157, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Johan Eklund, 2010. "Q-theory of investment and earnings retentions—evidence from Scandinavia," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 793-813, December.
- Eklund, Johan, 2008. "Q-theory of Investment and Earnings Retentions-Evidence from Scandinavia," Ratio Working Papers 125, The Ratio Institute.
- Alex Edmans & Diego García & Øyvind Norli, 2007. "Sports Sentiment and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1967-1998, 08.
- Sneath, Julie Z. & Finney, R. Zachary & Close, Angeline Grace, 2005. "An IMC Approach to Event Marketing: The Effects of Sponsorship and Experience on Customer Attitudes," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(04), pages 373-381, December.
- Joao F. Gomes, 2001. "Financing Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1263-1285, December.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Matthias Reiser & Christoph Breuer & Pamela Wicker, 2012. "The Sponsorship Effect: Do Sport Sponsorship Announcements Impact the Firm Value of Sponsoring Firms?," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 7(3), pages 232-248, August.
- Deitz, George D. & Evans, Robert D. & Hansen, John D., 2013. "Sponsorship and shareholder value: A re-examination and extension," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1427-1435.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:28/fe/2014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.