Living Within Conflicts: Risk of Violence and Livelihood Portfolios
This paper provides a comprehensive view of household responses to insecurity by examining chances along the extensive and intensive margins of livelihoods during a conflict. In particular, it examines how insecurity affects both the choice of activities and the composition of associated livestock and crop portfolios. Uniquely, I rely on a sample of over 690,000 rural households, accounting for 75 percent of all rural households in Northern Uganda. Overall, the analysis suggests that shifts in the composition and levels of assets are one of the primarily paths by which conflict-risk lowers welfare.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Bundervoet, 2006. "Livestock, Activity Choices and Conflict: Evidence from Burundi," HiCN Working Papers 24, Households in Conflict Network.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2009.
"Household coping in war- and peacetime: Cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007. "Household Coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," LICOS Discussion Papers 18907, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0727, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Nidhiya Menon & Yana van der Meulen Rodgers, 2010. "War and Women’s Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal," Working Papers 19, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Menon, Nidhiya & van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana, 2011. "War and Women's Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal," IZA Discussion Papers 6209, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nidhiya Menon & Yana van der Meulen Rodgers, 2011. "War and Women’s Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal," HiCN Working Papers 104, Households in Conflict Network.
- Menon, Nidhiya & Rodgers, Yana van der Meulen, 2011. "War and women's work : evidence from the conflict in Nepal," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5745, The World Bank.
- Nathan Fiala, 2009. "The Consequences of Forced Displacement in Northern Uganda," HiCN Working Papers 65, Households in Conflict Network.
- McKay, Andrew & Loveridge, Scott, 2005. "Exploring The Paradox Of Rwandan Agricultural Household Income And Nutritional Outcomes In 1990 And 2000," Staff Papers 11582, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Deininger,Klaus W., 2003. "Causes and consequences of civil strife - micro-level evidence from Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3045, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)