Social Interactions and Spillovers
The aim of this paper is to provide a tractable model where both socialization (or network formation) and productive efforts can be analyzed simultaneously. This permits a full-fledged equilibrium/welfare analysis of network formation with endogenous productive efforts and heterogeneous agents. We show that there exist two stable interior equilibria, which we can Pareto rank. The socially efficient outcome lies between these two equilibria. When the intrinsic returns to production and socialization increase, all equilibrium actions decrease at the Pareto-superior equilibrium, while they increase at the Pareto-inferior equilibrium. In both cases, the percentage change in socialization effort is higher (in absolute value) than that of the productive effort.
|Date of creation:||08 Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yann Bramoull? & Rachel Kranton & Martin D'Amours, 2014.
"Strategic Interaction and Networks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(3), pages 898-930, March.
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2000. ""Beyond the Melting Pot": Cultural Transmission, Marriage, and the Evolution of Ethnic and Religious Traits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 955-988.
- Vega-Redondo,Fernando, 2007. "Complex Social Networks," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521674096, December.
- Sanjeev Goyal, 2007. "Introduction to Connections: An Introduction to the Economics of Networks," Introductory Chapters, in: Connections: An Introduction to the Economics of Networks Princeton University Press.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi Ilkiliç, 2004.
"Pairwise-Stability and Nash Equilibria in Network Formation,"
182, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi İlkılıç, 2009. "Pairwise-stability and Nash equilibria in network formation," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 38(1), pages 51-79, March.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi Ilkiliç, 2005. "Pairwise-Stability and Nash Equilibria in Network Formation," Working Papers 2005.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Luca P. Merlino & Andrea Galeotti, 2010.
"Endogenous Job Contact Networks,"
2010 Meeting Papers
853, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Merlino, Luca Paolo, 2010. "Endogenous job contact networks," ISER Working Paper Series 2010-14, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Andrea Galeotti & Luca Paolo Merlino, 2014. "Endogenous Job Contact Networks," Post-Print hal-01263754, HAL.
- Luca P. Merlino Autonoma & Andrea Galeotti, 2009. "Endogenous job contact networks," 2009 Meeting Papers 133, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Becker, Gary S, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1063-1093, Nov.-Dec..
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2004.
"Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighbourhood Quality and/or Parents' Involvement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2004. "Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighborhood Quality and/or Parents' Involvement?," Working Paper Series 631, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2007. "Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighborhood Quality and/or Parents’ Involvement?," IZA Discussion Papers 2608, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009.
"Communication networks with endogenous link strength,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 39-56, May.
- Francis Bloch & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008. "Communication networks with endogeneous link strength," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-15, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2005. "Communication Networks with Endogenous Link Strength," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 723, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Corchon, Luis C. & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1996. "On the stability of best reply and gradient systems with applications to imperfectly competitive models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 59-65, April.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004.
"Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player,"
178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," CEPR Discussion Papers 5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 666156000000000586, www.najecon.org.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 2002.
"On the Empirics of Social Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 459-479, November.
- Thomas S. Dee, 2003.
"Are There Civic Returns to Education?,"
NBER Working Papers
9588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 2007.
"Education and Social Capital,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-19, Winter.
- Bramoulle, Yann & Kranton, Rachel, 2007. "Public goods in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 478-494, July.
- Milligan, Kevin & Moretti, Enrico & Oreopoulos, Philip, 2004. "Does education improve citizenship? Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1667-1695, August.
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Vega-Redondo,Fernando, 2007. "Complex Social Networks," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521857406, December.
- Ioannides, Yannis M. & Soetevent, Adriaan R., 2007.
"Social networking and individual outcomes beyond the mean field case,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3-4), pages 369-390.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Adriaan R. Soetevent, 2005. "Social Networking and Individual Outcomes Beyond the Mean Field Case," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0521, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sunrpe:2010_0020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.