Social Interactions and Spillovers
The aim of this paper is to provide a tractable model where both socialization (or network formation) and productive efforts can be analyzed simultaneously. This permits a full-fledged equilibrium/welfare analysis of network formation with endogenous productive efforts and heterogeneous agents. We show that there exist two stable interior equilibria, which we can Pareto rank. The socially efficient outcome lies between these two equilibria. When the intrinsic returns to production and socialization increase, all equilibrium actions decrease at the Pareto-superior equilibrium, while they increase at the Pareto-inferior equilibrium. In both cases, the percentage change in socialization effort is higher (in absolute value) than that of the productive effort.
|Date of creation:||08 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005.
"Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," Working Papers 178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 666156000000000586, www.najecon.org.
- Dee, Thomas S., 2004.
"Are there civic returns to education?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1697-1720, August.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009.
"Communication networks with endogenous link strength,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 39-56, May.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2005. "Communication Networks with Endogenous Link Strength," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 723, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Francis Bloch & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008. "Communication networks with endogeneous link strength," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-15, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Yann Bramoull? & Rachel Kranton & Martin D'Amours, 2014.
"Strategic Interaction and Networks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(3), pages 898-930, March.
- Corchon, Luis C. & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1996. "On the stability of best reply and gradient systems with applications to imperfectly competitive models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 59-65, April.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2007.
"Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighborhood Quality and/or Parents’ Involvement?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2608, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2004. "Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighbourhood Quality and/or Parents' Involvement," CEPR Discussion Papers 4744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2004. "Intergenerational Education Transmission: Neighborhood Quality and/or Parents' Involvement?," Working Paper Series 631, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ioannides, Yannis M. & Soetevent, Adriaan R., 2007.
"Social networking and individual outcomes beyond the mean field case,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3-4), pages 369-390.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Adriaan R. Soetevent, 2005. "Social Networking and Individual Outcomes Beyond the Mean Field Case," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0521, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi Ilkiliç, 2004.
"Pairwise-Stability and Nash Equilibria in Network Formation,"
182, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi İlkılıç, 2009. "Pairwise-stability and Nash equilibria in network formation," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 51-79, March.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Rahmi Ilkiliç, 2005. "Pairwise-Stability and Nash Equilibria in Network Formation," Working Papers 2005.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Vega-Redondo,Fernando, 2007. "Complex Social Networks," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521674096, 1.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & José A. Scheinkman, 1996.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 111(2), pages 507-548.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," NBER Working Papers 5026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2010-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bramoulle, Yann & Kranton, Rachel, 2007. "Public goods in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 478-494, July.
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Andrea Galeotti & Luca Paolo Merlino, 2014.
"Endogenous Job Contact Networks,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 1201-1226, November.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2001.
"On the empirics of social capital,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Sanjeev Goyal, 2007.
"Introduction to Connections: An Introduction to the Economics of Networks
[Connections: An Introduction to the Economics of Networks]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Milligan, Kevin & Moretti, Enrico & Oreopoulos, Philip, 2004. "Does education improve citizenship? Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1667-1695, August.
- Vega-Redondo,Fernando, 2007. "Complex Social Networks," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521857406, 1.
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2000. ""Beyond the Melting Pot": Cultural Transmission, Marriage, and the Evolution of Ethnic and Religious Traits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 955-988.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 1999.
"Education and Social Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
7121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sunrpe:2010_0020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.