Owning, letting and demanding second homes
An increasing number of households consume housing beyond the primary home as owners of a second home. Economic studies of second homeownership are still very scarce, and the present empirical study fills this gap to some extent. It is based on Danish survey data combined with administrative register data and presents estimations of the probability of owning a second home, the decision to let the second home and the number of let weeks per year. Also income elasticities for primary and second housing demand are estimated. We find a conventional monotonic increase in demand elasticities for primary housing demand for non-owners of second homes; however, owners of second homes have the highest income elasticity in the middle income group.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 65 50 32 33
Fax: 65 50 32 37
Web page: http://www.sdu.dk/ivoe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayo, Stephen K., 1981. "Theory and estimation in the economics of housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 95-116, July.
- Hansen, Julia L. & Formby, John P. & Smith, W. James, 1996. "The Income Elasticity of Demand for Housing: Evidence from Concentration Curves," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 173-192, March.
- repec:cai:poeine:pope_701_0157 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Julia L. & Formby, John P. & Smith, W. James, 1998. "Estimating the Income Elasticity of Demand for Housing: A Comparison of Traditional and Lorenz-Concentration Curve Methodologies," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 328-342, December.
- Goodman, Allen C., 1990. "Demographics of individual housing demand," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 83-102, June.
- Ray C. Fair, 1976.
"A Theory of Extramarital Affairs,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
436, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gijsbert Hoogendoorn & Gustav Visser, 2010. "The role of second homes in local economic development in five small South African towns," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 547-562.
- Dixie M. Blackley & James R. Follain & Haeduck Lee, 1986. "An Evaluation of Hedonic Price Indexes for Thirty-four Large SMSAs," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 179-205.
- Emilio Torres & J. Santos Domínguez-Menchero, 2006. "The impact of second homes on local taxes," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 27(2), pages 231-250, June.
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Mayo, Stephen K, 1987. "The Demand for Housing in Developing Countries: Empirical Estimates from Household Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(4), pages 687-721, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sdueko:2014_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lene Holbæk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.