The Decision to Scrap a Wind Turbine: Opportunity Cost, Timing and Policy
This paper attempts to empirically identify the key factors involved in the decision to scrap a wind turbine using data from Denmark. The importance of the opportunity cost of operating an older wind turbine is shown to be a prominent factor in the decision to scrap. I show the strong effect that renewable energy policy plays in the decision to scrap a turbine. Through the use of both non-parametric and semi-parametric duration models and an instrumental variables approach I identify a strong effect for scrapping schemes put in place by the Danish government. I also obtain the, initially, counter-intuitive result that more effective wind turbines have a higher hazard of being scrapped.
|Date of creation:||29 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 5474.
- Mario Cleves & William W. Gould & Roberto G. Gutierrez & Yulia Marchenko, 2010. "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number saus3, November.
- Linda Steg & Erik Verhoef & Michiel Bliemer & Bert van Wee, 2008. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Pricing in Road Transport, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Morthorst, P. E., 1999. "Capacity development and profitability of wind turbines," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(13), pages 779-787, November.
- Hans-Ulrich Derlien & B. Guy Peters, 2008. "Introduction," Chapters, in: The State at Work, Volume 2, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Anna Alberini & Winston Harrington & Virginia McConnell, 1995. "Determinants of Participation in Accelerated Vehicle-Retirement Programs," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Munksgaard, Jesper & Morthorst, Poul Erik, 2008. "Wind power in the Danish liberalised power market--Policy measures, price impact and investor incentives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3940-3947, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2011_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.