Grain Market Integration in the Baltic Sea Region in the 19th Century
This paper explores the development of market integration within the Baltic Sea region as well as between the region and England, from the early 1840s to around 1890. It exploits two new datasets on grain prices. The paper applies a new method for measuring market integration by combining a dynamic factor model with wavelet analysis. A gradual yardstick is suggested and the role of distance analyzed. Wheat and rye markets became highly integrated whereas the cheaper grains lagged. Integration progressed geographically and conclusions emphasize traded volumes and transport cost.
|Date of creation:||11 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dean Corbae & Sam Ouliaris & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1997.
"Band Spectral Regression with Trending Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1163, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Persson, Karl Gunnar, 2004. "Mind the gap! Transport costs and price convergence in the nineteenth century Atlantic economy," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 125-147, August.
- Andersson, Fredrik N. G. & Edgerton, David & Opper, Sonja, 2011.
"A Matter of Time: Revisiting Growth Convergence in China,"
2011:23, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 01 Mar 2012.
- Andersson, Fredrik N.G. & Edgerton, David L. & Opper, Sonja, 2013. "A Matter of Time: Revisiting Growth Convergence in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 239-251.
- Andersson, Fredrik N. G., 2011. "Band Spectrum Regressions using Wavelet Analysis," Working Papers 2011:22, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2007. "A Guide To Wavelets For Economists ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 207-267, 04.
- Susan Fairlie, 1969. "The Corn Laws and British Wheat Production, 1829-76," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 22(1), pages 88-110, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2014_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.