Airport Marginal Cost Pricing: Discussion and an Application to Swedish Airports
We derive an optimal airport-pricing model, both with and without a constraint on the revenues, that includes all relevant external marginal costs,. Given the results of the model we discuss the implications on the profit of airports, and find that given that the proceeds of the environmental charges are seen as revenue for the airport, it is not obvious that a marginal cost-pricing scheme would result in financial deficits for the airports, this despite the reasonable assumption of increasing returns to scale in airport capacity. Using relatively crude estimates of the marginal costs, we compare the current pricing scheme with a marginal cost pricing scheme. We find that the effect on revenues of moving towards a marginal cost pricing scheme may not be so dramatic; especially not if the marginal external costs include estimated marginal costs of CO2 emissions.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Transport Economics , 2003, pages 283-303.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Carlsson , Fredrik, 2000. "Environmental Taxation in Airline Markets," Working Papers in Economics 24, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1970. "The Peak Load Problem with Increasing Returns and Pricing Constraints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 693-705, September.
- Fredrik Carlsson, 2000. "Environmental Taxation and Strategic Commitment in Duopoly Models," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(3), pages 243-256, March.
- Algers, Staffan & Bergström, Pål & Dahlberg, Matz & Lindqvist Dillén, Johanna, 1998.
"Mixed Logit Estimation of the Value of Travel Time,"
Working Paper Series
1998:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Algers, S. & Bergstrom, P. & Dahlberg, M. & Dillen, J.L., 1998. "Mixed Logit Estimation of the Value of Travel Time," Papers 1998:15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2000004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1997. "Concession revenue and optimal airport pricing," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-296, December.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20000004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brueckner, Jan K, 2002. "Internalization of airport congestion," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 141-147.
- Levine, Michael E, 1969. "Landing Fees and the Airport Congestion Problem," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 79-108, April.
- Borenstein, Severin, 1988. "On the Efficiency of Competitive Markets for Operating Licenses," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 357-85, May.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.