Hotelling´s T2 Method in Multivariate On-line Surveillance. On the Delay of an Alarm
A system for detecting changes in an on-going process is needed in many situations. On-line monitoring (surveillance) is used in early detection of disease outbreaks, of patients at risk and of financial instability. By continually monitoring one or several indicators, we can, early, detect a change in the processes of interest. There are several suggested methods for multivariate surveillance, one of which is the Hotelling’s T2. Since one aim in surveillance is quick detection of a change, it is important to use evaluation measures that reflect the timeliness of an alarm. One suggested measure is the expected delay of an alarm, in relation to the time of change ( ) in the process. Here we investigate a delay measure for the bivariate situation. Generally, the measure depends on both change times (i.e. 1 and 2). We show that, for a bivariate situation using the T2 method, the delay only depends on 1 and 2 through the distance 1- 2.
|Date of creation:||28 Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Statistical Research Unit, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 40530 GÖTEBORG|
Web page: http://www.statistics.gu.se/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Max Petzold & Christian Sonesson & Eva Bergman & Helle Kieler, 2004. "Surveillance in Longitudinal Models: Detection of Intrauterine Growth Restriction," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 1025-1033, December.
- Eva Andersson & David Bock & Marianne Frisén, 2004. "Detection of Turning Points in Business Cycles," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2004(1), pages 93-108.
- Andersson, Eva, 2007. "Effect of dependency in systems for multivariate surveillance," Research Reports 2007:1, Statistical Research Unit, Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg.
- Frisén, Marianne & Andersson, Eva & Schiöler, Linus, 2007. "Robust outbreak surveillance of epidemics in Sweden," Research Reports 2007:12, Statistical Research Unit, Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunsru:2008_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Linus Schiöler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.