Up in the Air: The Role of Airports for Regional Economic Development
Short on the role of airports in for regional development in earlier work, our research examines two things: (1) the likelihood for the region to have an airport in the first place and (2) the effects of airports for regional economic development. Based on multiple regression analysis for US metros, we find that airports are more likely in larger metros with higher shares of more cultural workers and warmer winters are more likely to have an airport in the first place. We also find that airports add significantly to economic output per capita, when controlling for other variables, and that the size of the airport activities matters.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher R. Berry & Edward L. Glaeser, 2005. "The Divergence of Human Capital Levels Across Cities," NBER Working Papers 11617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jingjing Chai & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ralph Rogalla, 2011.
"Lifecycle Impacts of the Financial and Economic Crisis on Household Optimal Consumption, Portfolio Choice, and Labor Supply,"
wp246, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Chai, Jingjing & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Rogalla, Ralph, 2011. "Lifecycle impacts of the financial and economic crisis on household optimal consumption, portfolio choice, and labor supply," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jingjing Chai & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ralph Rogalla, 2011. "Lifecycle Impacts of the Financial and Economic Crisis on Household Optimal Consumption, Portfolio Choice, and Labor Supply," NBER Working Papers 17134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Button, Kenneth J. & Taylor, Samantha Y, 2000.
"International Air Transportation And Economic Development,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p483, European Regional Science Association.
- Button, Kenneth & Taylor, Samantha, 2000. "International air transportation and economic development," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 209-222.
- Ed Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000.
NBER Working Papers
7790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Are Cities Dying?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 139-160, Spring.
- Richard Florida & Charlotta Mellander & Kevin Stolarick, 2008.
"Inside the black box of regional development: human capital, the creative class and tolerance,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(5), pages 615-649, September.
- Florida, Richard & Mellander, Charlotta & Stolarick, Kevin, 2007. "Inside the Black Box of Regional Development - human capital, the creative class and tolerance," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 88, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Richard K. Green, 2006.
"Airports and Economic Development,"
0002, School of Business, The George Washington University.
- Phang, Sock-Yong, 2003. "Strategic development of airport and rail infrastructure: the case of Singapore," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 27-33, January.
- Zachary Neal, 2010. "Refining the Air Traffic Approach to City Networks," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(10), pages 2195-2215, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.