Parsing the Menagerie of Agglomeration and Network Externalities
Externalities have for a long time been perceived as awkward cases that are alien to well-structured economic analyses. During recent decades ideas inherited from Marshall and others have regained interest in the analysis of specialisation and trade, urban formation and growth as well as innovation processes. A variety of contributions has brought about an equally varied set of externalities with labels such as localisation and urbanisation economies, industrial districts, innovative regions. This presentation attempts to bring order to the many ideas about externalities by classifying them with regard to the sources and consequences of the externalities, and to the externality mechanisms. A basic separation is made between those externalities that affect efficiency and those that generate developmen
|Date of creation:||28 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita, Masahisa, 1988. "A monopolistic competition model of spatial agglomeration : Differentiated product approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-124, February.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996.
"Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-59, May.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "articles: Localised knowledge spillovers vs. innovative milieux: Knowledge "tacitness" reconsidered," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 255-273.
- Roberta Capello, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and spatial externalities: Theory and measurement," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 387-402.
- Yarbrough, Beth V. & Yarbrough, Robert M., 1988. "The transactional structure of the firm : A comparative survey," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-28, July.
- Andersson, Martin & Karlsson, Charlie, 2002. "The role of accessibility for regional innovation systems," ERSA conference papers ersa02p242, European Regional Science Association.
- Rui Baptista, 1999. "The Diffusion of Process Innovations: A Selective Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 107-129.
- Baptista, Rui, 2000. "Do innovations diffuse faster within geographical clusters?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 515-535, April.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PICARD, Pierre & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"An economic theory of regional clusters,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1464, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Johansson, Borje & Westin, Lars, 1994. "Affinities and Frictions of Trade Networks," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 243-61, September.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Norman, Victor D., 1977. "Technological change and factor mix over the product cycle : A model of dynamic comparative advantage," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 3-24, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.