How bad is Divergence in the Euro-Zone? Lessons from the United States of America and Germany
This paper compares relative unit labour cost developments in the countries of the euro-area since the beginning of the European Monetary Union (EMU) both with historical developments and with intra-regional unit labour cost developments in the United States of America and Germany. To this end, unit labour cost indices for the US states and census regions from 1977 to 1997 as well as for the German Länder from 1970 to 2004 have been constructed. Against this benchmark, it is found that unit labour cost increases since 1999 in Portugal and to a lesser extent in Spain and Greece can be judged as excessive, pointing at labour market rigidities which might impair smooth working of EMU in the future.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernd Hayo, 2006.
"Is European Monetary Policy Appropriate for the EMU Member Countries? A Counterfactual Analysis,"
Marburg Working Papers on Economics
200610, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Bernd Hayo, 2007. "Is European Monetary Policy Appropriate for the EMU Member Countries? A Counterfactual Analysis," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 36, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2006.
"The Caring Hand that Cripples: The East German Labour Market after Reunification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5656, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dennis J. Snower & Christian Merkl, 2006. "The Caring Hand that Cripples: The East German Labor Market after Reunification," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 375-382, May.
- Enderlein, Henrik, 2004. "Nationale Wirtschaftspolitik in der europäischen Währungsunion," Schriften aus dem Max-Planck-Institut für Gesellschaftsforschung Köln, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, volume 49, number 49.
- Philip R. Lane, 2006.
"The Real Effects of EMU,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 2003. "Macroeconomic Priorities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 1-14, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hep:macppr:200605. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulrich Fritsche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.