(Un)desirable Effects of Output Funding for Flemish Universities
Governments introducing output parameters in the funding rule of universities believe that it will induce universities to raise their teaching efforts while educational standards will remain unaffected. We show that this presupposes positive interaction effects between studentsÂ’ abilities, studentsÂ’ efforts and universitiesÂ’ teaching efforts within the educational production function. Empirical data on success rates of Flemish university students reveal a strong correlation between studentsÂ’ probabilities of success and socioeconomic background. Moreover, we find a strong social clustering within universities. Hence, combining theory and empirics we conclude that output funding for Flemish universities would lead to socially undesirable effects. Universities attracting more students with a vulnerable socioeconomic background will not be rewarded for raising their teaching effort in the same way as other universities.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.centreforsocialpolicy.eu|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena Arias & Catherine Dehon, 2008.
"What are the factors of success at university? A case study in Belgium,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_003, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Elena Arias & Catherine Dehon, 2008. "What are the factors of success at university? a case study in Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13348, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stijn Kelchtermans & Frank Verboven, 2010. "Participation and study decisions in a public system of higher education," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 355-391.
- Costrell, Robert M, 1994. "A Simple Model of Educational Standards," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 956-71, September.
- Elena Arias Ortiz, 2008. "What are the Factors of Success at University? A Case Study in Belgium," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 121-148, June.
- Betts, Julian R, 1998. "The Impact of Educational Standards on the Level and Distribution of Earnings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 266-75, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hdl:wpaper:1005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wim Van Lancker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.