Screening Contracts in the Presence of Positive Network Effects
Based on the critical assumption of strategic complementarity, this paper builds a general model to describe and solve the screening problem faced by the monopolist seller of a network good. By applying monotone comparative static tools, we demonstrate that the joint presence of asymmetric information and positive network effects leads to a strict downward distortion for all consumers in the quantities provided. We also show that the equilibrium allocation is an increasing function of the intensity of network effects, and that a discriminating monopoly may supply large quantities for all consumers than a competitive industry.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-77, November.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2002.
"Buyer Coalition Against Monopolistic Screening: On the Role of Asymmetric Information among Buyers,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000025, David K. Levine.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2002. "Buyer Coalition Against Monopolistic Screening: On the Role of Asymmetric Information among Buyers," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 506439000000000025, www.najecon.org.
- Segal, Ilya, 2003. "Coordination and discrimination in contracting with externalities: divide and conquer?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 147-181, December.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1994. "Comparing Equilibria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 441-59, June.
- Lockwood, B., 1999.
"Production Externalities and Two-Way Distortion in Principal-Multi-Agent Problems,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
527, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lockwood, Ben, 2000. "Production Externalities and Two-way Distortion in Principal-multi-agent Problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 142-166, May.
- Stephen C. Littlechild, 1975. "Two-Park Tariffs and Consumption Externalities," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 661-670, Autumn.
- Van Zandt, Timothy & Vives, Xavier, 2007.
"Monotone equilibria in Bayesian games of strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 339-360, May.
- Van Zandt, Timothy & Vives, Xavier, 2003. "Monotone Equilibria in Bayesian Games of Strategic Complementarities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 2000. "Pricing a Network Good to Deter Entry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 373-90, December.
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 1984. "Monopoly with Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 171-196, Summer.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Edlin, Aaron S. & Shannon, Chris, 1998.
"Strict Monotonicity in Comparative Statics,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 201-219, July.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:103:y:1988:i:3:p:441-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wilson, Robert, 1997. "Nonlinear Pricing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195115826, July.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Jong-Hee Hahn, 2000.
"Nonlinear Pricing of Telecommunications with Call and Network Externalities,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
2000/15, Department of Economics, Keele University, revised Nov 2001.
- Hahn, Jong-Hee, 2003. "Nonlinear pricing of telecommunications with call and network externalities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 949-967, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:2:p:337-388 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cooper, Russell, et al, 1990. "Selection Criteria in Coordination Games: Some Experimental Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 218-33, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:0414. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.