Tailoring Bank Capital Regulation for Tail Risk
The experience of the 2007-09 financial crisis has showed that the bank capital regulation in place was inadequate to deal with "manufacturing" tail risk in the financial sector. This paper proposes an incentive-based design of bank capital regulation aimed at efficiently dealing with tail risk engendered by bank top managers. It has two specific features: (i) first, it incorporates information on the optimal incentive contract between bank shareholders and bank managers, thereby dealing with the internal agency problem; (ii) second, it relies on the mechanism of mandatory recapitalization to ensure this contract is adopted by bank shareholders.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00796490|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohamed Belhaj, 2011. "Excess capital, operational disaster risk, and capital requirements for banks," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 653-661.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Gunter & Zechner, Josef, 2002.
"Bank capital regulation with random audits,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1301-1321, July.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Günter & Zechner, Josef, 2000. "Bank Capital Regulation with Random Audits," CEPR Discussion Papers 2597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Manfred Plank & Josef Zechner & Gunter Strobl, 2000. "Bank Capital Regulation With Random Audits," FMG Discussion Papers dp354, Financial Markets Group.
- Decamps, Jean-Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Roger, Benoit, 2004.
"The three pillars of Basel II: optimizing the mix,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 132-155, April.
- Enrico Perotti & Lev Ratnovski & Razvan Vlahu, 2011.
"Capital Regulation and Tail Risk,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-039/2/DSF14, Tinbergen Institute, revised 31 Mar 2011.
- Enrico Perotti & Lev Ratnovski & Razvan Vlahu, 2011. "Capital Regulation and Tail Risk," DNB Working Papers 307, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Enrico Camillo Perotti & Lev Ratnovski & Razvan Vlahu, 2011. "Capital Regulation and Tail Risk," IMF Working Papers 11/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Ratnovski, Lev & Vlahu, Razvan, 2011. "Capital Regulation and Tail Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 8526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:eme:mfipps:v:34:y:2007:i:5:p:316-327 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koziol, Christian & Lawrenz, Jochen, 2012. "Contingent convertibles. Solving or seeding the next banking crisis?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 90-104.
- Bris, Arturo & Cantale, Salvatore, 2004. "Bank capital requirements and managerial self-interest," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 77-101, February.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2004.
"Liquidity Risk and Corporate Demand for Hedging and Insurance,"
IDEI Working Papers
254, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2004. "Liquidity Risk and Corporate Demand for Hedging and Insurance," CEPR Discussion Papers 4755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Carl R. & Steiner, Thomas L. & Whyte, Ann Marie, 2006. "Does stock option-based executive compensation induce risk-taking? An analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 915-945, March.
- Biais, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2007.
"Large Risks, Limited Liability and Dynamic Moral Hazard,"
IDEI Working Papers
472, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Sep 2009.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti & Jean-Charles Rochet & StÈphane Villeneuve, 2010. "Large Risks, Limited Liability, and Dynamic Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(1), pages 73-118, 01.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti & Jean-Charles Rochet & Stéphane Villeneuve, 2010. "Large risks, limited liability, and dynamic moral hazard," Post-Print halshs-00491470, HAL.
- Samu Peura & Jussi Keppo, 2006. "Optimal Bank Capital with Costly Recapitalization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 2163-2202, July.
- Patrick Bolton & Hamid Mehran & Joel Shapiro, 2015.
"Executive Compensation and Risk Taking,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 19(6), pages 2139-2181.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2011. "Liquidity management and corporate demand for hedging and insurance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 303-323, July.
- Yuliy Sannikov, 2008. "A Continuous-Time Version of the Principal-Agent Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(3), pages 957-984.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2008. "Free Cash-Flow, Issuance Costs and Stock Price Volatility," IDEI Working Papers 518, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean‐Paul Décamps & Thomas Mariotti & Jean‐Charles Rochet & Stéphane Villeneuve, 2011. "Free Cash Flow, Issuance Costs, and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(5), pages 1501-1544, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00796490. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.