Collateral constraints and the amplification-persistence trade-off
Kiyotaki and Moore (1997) have stressed that an amplification-persistence trade-off arises when collateral constraints on borrowing interact with lumpy investment. In this paper, I confirm by way of example that collateral constraints are not by themselves responsible for such a deceptive trade-off. More precisely, I show in a standard general-equilibrium two-agent model that the amplification and persistence of the impact of temporary shocks go hand in hand. Unlike Kiyotaki-Moore's, the economy features concave utility and production functions, an endogenous interest rate and neo-classical input accumulation
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00439243|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2008.
"Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence from Panel Data,"
5_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Pierre‐André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2011. "Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence From Panel Data," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(6), pages 1021-1052, December.
- Juan-Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2004.
"Credit Cycles Redux,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1011-1046, November.
- Juan Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2002. "Credit Cycles Redux," Macroeconomics 0210004, EconWPA.
- Cordoba, Juan Carlos & Ripoll, Marla, 2010. "Credit Cycles Redux," Staff General Research Papers Archive 32122, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002. "Credit Cycles Redux," Working Papers 2002-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, "undated".
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Patrick-Antoine Pintus, 2009.
"Collateral constraints and the amplification-persistence trade-off,"
- Pintus, Patrick A., 2011. "Collateral constraints and the amplification-persistence trade-off," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 64-66, January.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 2000. "Creating business cycles through credit constraints," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00439243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.