The performance of Islamic banks in the MENA region: Are specific risks a minor attribute?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Fadzlan Sufian & Mohamad Akbar Noor Mohamad Noor, 2009. "The determinants of Islamic banks' efficiency changes: Empirical evidence from the MENA and Asian banking sectors," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 120-138, June.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2013.
"Risk in Islamic Banking,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 17(6), pages 2035-2096.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2012. "Risk in Islamic Banking," Working Papers hal-00915115, HAL.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2013. "Risk in Islamic Banking," Post-Print hal-01098717, HAL.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2013. "Risk in Islamic Banking," Post-Print hal-00915652, HAL.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2011. "Efficiency and bank profitability in MENA countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 94-110, June.
- Bader, Mohammed Khaled I. & Mohamad, Shamsher & Ariff, Mohamed & Hassan, Taufiq, 2008. "Cost, Revenue, And Profit Efficiency Of Islamic Versus Conventional Banks: International Evidence Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 15, pages 24-76.
- Rosman, Romzie & Wahab, Norazlina Abd & Zainol, Zairy, 2014. "Efficiency of Islamic banks during the financial crisis: An analysis of Middle Eastern and Asian countries," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 76-90.
- Soedarmono, Wahyoe & Pramono, Sigid Eko & Tarazi, Amine, 2017.
"The procyclicality of loan loss provisions in Islamic banks,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 39(PB), pages 911-919.
- Wahyoe Soedarmono & Sigid Eko Pramono & Amine Tarazi, 2016. "The procyclicality of loan loss provisions in Islamic banks," Working Papers hal-01319043, HAL.
- Wahyoe Soedarmono & Sigid Eko Pramono & Amine Tarazi, 2017. "The procyclicality of loan loss provisions in Islamic banks," Post-Print hal-01324711, HAL.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2010. "Efficiency in Islamic and conventional banking: an international comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-43, August.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli & Yermack, David L, 1997.
" Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1411-1438, September.
- Philip E. Berger & Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 1996. "Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sabur Mollah & M. Kabir Hassan & Omar Farooque & Asma Mobarek, 2017. "The governance, risk-taking, and performance of Islamic banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 195-219, April.
- K.K. Siraj & P. Sudarsanan Pillai, 2012. "Comparative Study on Performance of Islamic Banks and Conventional Banks in GCC region," Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, SCIENPRESS Ltd, vol. 2(3), pages 1-6.
- Ahmad, Nor Hayati Bt & Noor, Mohamad Akbar Noor Mohamad & Sufian, Fadzlan, 2010. "Measuring Islamic banks efficiency: the case of world Islamic banking sectors," MPRA Paper 29497, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wassim RAJHI & Slim A. HASSAIRI, 2013. "Islamic Banks And Financial Stability: A Comparative Empirical Analysis Between Mena And Southeast Asian Countries," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 37, pages 149-177.
- Bukhari M. S. Sillah & Imran khokhar & Muhammad Nauman Khan, 2015. "Technical Efficiency of Banks and the Effects of Risk Factors on the Bank Efficiency in Gulf Cooperation Council Countries," Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, SCIENPRESS Ltd, vol. 5(2), pages 1-9.
- Saeed Al-Muharrami, 2008. "An examination of technical, pure technical and scale efficiencies in GCC banking," American Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 152-166.
- Ali Said, 2013. "Risks and Efficiency in the Islamic Banking Systems: The Case of Selected Islamic Banks in MENA Region," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 66-73.
- Trad, Naama & Trabelsi, Mohamed Ali & Goux, Jean François, 2017.
"Risk And Profi Tability Of Islamic Banks: A Religious Deception Or An Alternative Solution?,"
European Research on Management and Business Economics (ERMBE),
Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 23(1), pages 40-45.
- Trad, Naama & Trabelsi, Mohamed Ali & Goux, Jean-François, 2015. "Risk and profitability of islamic banks: a religious deception or an alternative solution?," MPRA Paper 82903, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
- Naama Trad & Mohamed Ali Trabelsi & Jean-François Goux, 2017. "Risk and profitability of Islamic banks: A religious deception or an alternative solution?," Post-Print halshs-01421357, HAL.
- Naama Trad & Mohamed Ali Trabelsi & Jean François Goux, 2017.
"Risk and profitability of Islamic banks: A religious deception or an alternative solution?
[Islamic banks, Credit strength, Risk and profitability, GMM system]," Post-Print halshs-01656770, HAL.
- Taufiq Hassan & Shamsher Mohamad & Mohammed Khaled I. Bader, 2009. "Efficiency of conventional versus Islamic banks: evidence from the Middle East," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 46-65, April.
- Khediri, Karim Ben & Charfeddine, Lanouar & Youssef, Slah Ben, 2015. "Islamic versus conventional banks in the GCC countries: A comparative study using classification techniques," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 75-98.
- Feryel OUERGHI, 2014. "Are Islamic Banks More Resilient To Global Financial Crisis Than Conventional Banks?," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 4(7), pages 941-955, July.
- Samir Srairi, 2010. "Cost and profit efficiency of conventional and Islamic banks in GCC countries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 45-62, August.
- Mustapha Ben Hassine & Ratiba Limani, 2014. "The Impact of Bank Characteristics on the Efficiency: Evidence from MENA Islamic Banks," Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, SCIENPRESS Ltd, vol. 4(3), pages 1-13.
- Taisier A. Zoubi & Osamah Al-Khazali, 2007. "Empirical testing of the loss provisions of banks in the GCC region," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(7), pages 500-511, June.
- Mona Esam Fayed, 2013. "Comparative Performance Study of Conventional and Islamic Banking in Egypt," Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, SCIENPRESS Ltd, vol. 3(2), pages 1-1.
- Hussein A. Hassan Al-Tamimi & Faris Mohammed Al-Mazrooei, 2007. "Banks' risk management: a comparison study of UAE national and foreign banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 394-409, August.
More about this item
Keywordsperformance; risks ; cross-section analysis; Islamic banks; MENA region; panel data econometrics;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2018-01-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2018-01-15 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-RMG-2018-01-15 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-01667412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD). General contact details of provider: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.