Risks and Efficiency in the Islamic Banking Systems: The Case of Selected Islamic Banks in MENA Region
The present paper examined the correlation between risks and efficiency within Islamic banks in the MENA area. This paper used three stages of analyses. The first stage consisted of measuring the efficiency of those banks by employing the nonparametric technique, Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) while the second stage involved analyzing risks by measure credit, operational, and liquidity risks using financial ratios. The third stage would be employing Pearson Correlation Coefficients to examine the correlation between credit, operational, liquidity risks to efficiency for the period of 2006 to 2009. The study results have revealed credit risk has negative relationship to efficiency, while operational risk has found to be negatively correlated to efficiency too. The liquidity risk showed insignificant correlation to efficiency in Islamic banks in MENA area.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995.
"Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997. "Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2013.
"Risk in Islamic Banking,"
- Bauer, Wolfgang & Ryser, Marc, 2004. "Risk management strategies for banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 331-352, February.
- Yudistira, Donsyah, 2004. "Efficiency In Islamic Banking: An Empirical Analysis Of Eighteen Banks," Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 12, pages 2-19.
- Hameeda Abu Hussain & Jasim Al-Ajmi, 2012. "Risk management practices of conventional and Islamic banks in Bahrain," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(3), pages 215-239.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Hussein A. Hassan Al-Tamimi & Faris Mohammed Al-Mazrooei, 2007. "Banks' risk management: a comparison study of UAE national and foreign banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 394-409, August.
- repec:lan:wpaper:601084 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2013-01-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.