Do Private Equity Firms Foster Innovation? Evidence from French LBOs
Agency theory has historically presented buyouts as a superior governance framework that generates economic efficiencies in the short term but these transactions might have a negative impact on long-term growth and innovation. In this study, we use a strategic entrepreneurship perspective to argue that private equity firm's extensive network and relationships, and expertise and competencies help managers to innovate. Using a propensity score methodology, we provide an empirical analysis of the innovative efforts of a sample of 89 French manufacturing firms that underwent a buyout between 2001 and 2005. The matching estimates (average treatment on the treated, ATT) of the effect of LBOs on firm level of innovation expenditures in 2006 show no significant differences between LBO targets and comparable companies that did not go through an LBO. In contrast, we find significant effects of LBOs on both service innovation and marketing innovations in design and packaging and product promotion. Results suggest that private equity firms provide marketing capabilities or encourage managers of LBO targets to build new innovation strategies.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00773693|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meuleman,M. & Amess, K. & Wright, M. & Scholes, L., 2008. "Agency, strategic entrepreneurship and the performance of private equity backed buyouts," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2008-05, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1995. "Corporate entrepreneurship and financial performance: The case of management leveraged buyouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 225-247, May.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sorensen & Per Strömberg, 2011.
"Private Equity and Long‐Run Investment: The Case of Innovation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 445-477, 04.
- Lerner, Josh & Strömberg, Per & Sörensen, Morten, 2009. "Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," SIFR Research Report Series 66, Institute for Financial Research.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sørensen & Per Strömberg, 2008. "Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," NBER Working Papers 14623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wright, Mike & Thompson, Steve & Robbie, Ken, 1992. "Venture capital and management-led, leveraged buy-outs: A European perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Bruining, J. & Wright, D.M., 2002.
"Entrepreneurial Orientation In Management Buy-Outs And The Contribution Of Venture Capital,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2002-67-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Hans Bruining & Mike Wright, 2002. "Entrepreneurial orientation in management buy-outs and the contribution of venture capital," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 147-168, April.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990.
"The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior," Working Papers 89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne-Laure Le Nadant & Frédéric Perdreau, 2006.
"Financial Profile of Leveraged Buyout Targets: Some French Evidence,"
- Anne-Laure Le Nadant & Frédéric Perdreau, 2006. "Financial profile of leveraged buy-out targets: some French evidence," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(4), pages 370-392, November.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Lowell W. Busenitz & Jay Dial, 2001. "Finance and management buyouts: Agency versus entrepreneurship perspectives," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 239-261, July.
- Smith, Abbie J., 1990. "Corporate ownership structure and performance *1: The case of management buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 143-164, September.
- Ughetto, Elisa, 2010. "Assessing the contribution to innovation of private equity investors: A study on European buyouts," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 126-140, February.
- Boucly, Quentin & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2011. "Growth LBOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 432-453.
- Malone, Stewart C., 1989. "Characteristics of smaller company leveraged buyouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(5), pages 349-359, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00773693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.