Crédibilité et currency board : le cas lituanien
The lithuanian currency board established in april, 1994 came along with the monetary stability, but it did not benefit from the credibility effect which it was supposed to bring. The text tries to explain this lack of credibility. A first part examines the current hypothesis according to which the differences between the pure model of currency board, supposed to bring credibility by itself, and the lithuanian model, is at the origin of this default. A second part examines the circumstances and effects of the systemic banking crisis of 1995-96. A third part deals with the consequences of the exogeneous shocks on the Lithuanian economy. This leads to another hypothesis: the constraints of the currency board – may it be impure – induced the need to restore discretionary capacities, what was translated as a denaturation. The lack of credibility is then the product of the currency board itself.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue d'économie financière, AEF, 2004, pp.113-127|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00144002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nenovsky Nikolay & Hristov Kalin & Mihaylov Mihail, 2001.
"Comparing Currency Board Automatic Mechanism in Bulgaria, Estonia and Lithuania,"
Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(4), pages 1-44, December.
- K. Hristov & M. Mihaylov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2001. "Comparing Currency Board Automatic Mechanism in Bulgaria, Estonia and Lithuania," Post-Print halshs-00259886, HAL.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2001. "Comparing Currency Board Automatic Mechanism in Bulgaria, Estonia and Lithuania," Post-Print halshs-00260066, HAL.
- K. Hristov & M. Mihaylov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2001. "Comparing Currency Board Automatic Mechanism in Bulgaria, Estonia and Lithuania," Post-Print halshs-00259892, HAL.
- KornÃ©lia KrajnyÃ¡k & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 1998. "Competitiveness in Transition Economies: What Scope for Real Appreciation?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 309-362, June.
- Kornelia Krajnyak & Jeronimo Zettelmeyer, 1997. "Competitiveness in Transition Economies; What Scope for Real Appreciation?," IMF Working Papers 97/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean-François Ponsot, 2015. "Currency boards," Post-Print halshs-01114814, HAL.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-491, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)