Intangibles Investments and Accounting Numbers Usefulness : an Empirical Study of the European Stock Market
Motivated by the recent works by Lev [2001b ; 2004] and Villalonga , and the current debate surrounding the international financial reporting standard n°38 (i.e. IAS 38) adoption related to reported intangible investment issues, this study investigates whether European firms using national generally accounting principles (hereafter, GAAP) exhibit differences while considering the relationship between firm performance and reported intangible investment. Using a four-representative-European-country (i.e. France, Germany, Spain and U.K.) dynamic data panel, we investigate whether intangible accounting numbers in these different settings can be significantly linked, during the period 1993-2003, to the following firm performance triptych: financial, operational and competitive performance. Reported intangible investment is measured herein by three accounting proxies: the change in goodwill stock [see Griliches, 1981], the change in reported intangible assets stock [see Hall, 2000] and the research and development (R&D) expenditures.
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2005|
|Publication status:||Published in 1st European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM) : "Visualising, Measuring, and Managing Intangibles and Intellectual Capital "., Oct 2005, Ferrara, Italy|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00769333|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall, 2001.
"The Stock Market and Capital Accumulation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1185-1202, December.
- Robert E. Hall, 2000. "The stock market and capital accumulation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Apr.
- Robert E. Hall, 1999. "The Stock Market and Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 7180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1991. "Why Investors Value Multinationality," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(2), pages 165-187, April.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991. "Why Investors Value Multinationality," Working Papers 282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-959, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen Lin, 2006. "Testing the Information Set Perspective of UK "Financial Reporting Standard No.3: Reporting Financial Performance"," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(7-8), pages 1110-1141.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 1967. "Hierarchical Control and Optimum Firm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 123-123.
- McGahan, Anita M, 1999. "The Performance of US Corporations: 1981-1994," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 373-398, December.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2006. "The negative impact of R&D capitalization: A value relevance approach," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 37-61.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Anne Cazavan-Jeny, 2006. "The negative impact of R&D capitalization: a valuerelevance approach," Post-Print halshs-00009851, HAL.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996. "Competition and Corporate Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-746, August.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993. "Competition and Crporate Performance," Economics Series Working Papers 99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993. "Competition and Corporate Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lev, Baruch & Sunder, Shyam, 1979. "Methodological issues in the use of financial ratios," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 187-210, December.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2004. "Intangible resources, Tobin's q, and sustainability of performance differences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 205-230, June.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00769333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.