The Distribution Function: at the Heart of managing Cultural-Product Industries
Cultural industries (music, publishing, movies, television) faced similar trends in recent years : growing importance of distribution, raising costs in promotion, concentrating demand on fewer products, restructuring value added chain. Internet was considered, at a given time, as a lever to promote diversity and to support an expanding creation ; on a contrary, its development contributed to increase concentration and give more importance to prescription and distribution portals. Our communication aims at analyzing precisely the role of distributors in the chain value of cultural industries : aggregating demand, prescribing cultural goods to consumers, contractor for producers. We study distribution comparing more specifically three models of cultural industries : book publishing, movie theaters and television. These models provide with a conceptual framework considering distribution as a network structure. They help to report trends at stake in cultural industries : mass distribution and dematerialization, transforming business models...
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in 8th Intern. Conf. on Arts et Cultural Management, 2005, Montréal, France|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00263017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Triole, Jean, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Pierre-Jean Benghozi & Thomas Paris, 1999. "Copyright and distribution channels : an attempt to model remuneration structures," Post-Print hal-00262517, HAL.
- Pierre-Jean Benghozi & Thomas Paris, 1999. "Author's Rights and Distribution Channels: an Attempt to Model Remuneration Structures," Post-Print hal-00278124, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00263017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.