The Dollar Squeeze of the Financial Crisis
By Covered Interest rate Parity (CIP), the FX swap implied currency interest rates should coincide with actual interest rates. When a difference occurs, the residual is referred to as the cross currency basis. We link the Euro-Dollar currency basis (e.g. in 2008) to shadow prices of dollar funding constraints and interpret the basis as the relative physical possession value of the scarcer currency, or the "convenience yield" associated with that currency. This is similar to specialness in repro markets, expressing the physical possession value of a security. We examine how the coordinated central banks intervention can reduce the currency basis.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00673982|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "Capital constraints, counterparty risk, and deviations from covered interest rate parity," Staff Reports 393, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jordan, Bradford D & Jordan, Susan D, 1997. " Special Repo Rates: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2051-72, December.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2006.
"A Search-Based Theory of the On-the-Run Phenomenon,"
NBER Working Papers
12670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2008. "A Search-Based Theory of the On-the-Run Phenomenon," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1361-1398, 06.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Dimitri Vayanos, 2005. "A Search-Based Theory of the On-the-Run Phenomenon," 2005 Meeting Papers 701, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2005. "A search-based theory of the on-the-run phenomenon," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 459, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Dimitri Vayanos, 2007. "A Search-Based Theory of the On-the-Run Phenomenon," FMG Discussion Papers dp577, Financial Markets Group.
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Weill, Pierre-Olivier, 2006. "A Search-Based Theory of the On-the-Run Phenomenon," CEPR Discussion Papers 5965, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2007. "A search-based theory of the on-the-run phenomenon," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24474, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Naohiko Baba & Frank Packer, 2009. "From turmoil to crisis: dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers," BIS Working Papers 285, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc & Luque, Jaime & Páscoa, Mário R., 2012.
"Securities market theory: Possession, repo and rehypothecation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 477-500.
- Jean Marc Bottazzi & Jaime Luque & Mario Pascoa, 2011. "Securities market theory: possession, repo and rehypothecation," 2011 Meeting Papers 1214, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Spence Hilton & Suresh Sundaresan & Christopher Tonetti, 2011. "Collateral Values by Asset Class: Evidence from Primary Securities Dealers," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(1), pages 248-278.
- Baba, Naohiko & Packer, Frank, 2009. "From turmoil to crisis: Dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1350-1374, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2002. "Securities lending, shorting, and pricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 307-339.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00673982. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.