On Efficient Child Making
This paper is devoted to the study of the Pareto-efficiency of the competitive equilibrium for an overlapping generations economy with endogenous fertility. Pareto-efficiency needs a reformulation when fertility is endogenous. Then it is proved that a competitive equilibrium that converges in over-accumulation is non-Pareto-efficient. However, we provide an example in which a competitive equilibrium that converges in under-accumulation is non-Pareto-efficient. Finally, we give a general condition that ensures the Pareto-efficiency of the competitive equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Theory, Springer Verlag, 2007, 31 (2), pp.307-326. <10.1007/s00199-006-0099-1>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00185259|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2003.
"Effciency with Endogenous Population Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
666156000000000310, David K. Levine.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," NBER Working Papers 10231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004. "Efficiency with endogenous population growth," Working Papers 630, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2006. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," Discussion Papers 05-012, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones, 2004. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," 2004 Meeting Papers 8, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Willis, Robert J, 1973. "A New Approach to the Economic Theory of Fertility Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S14-64, Part II, .
- Raut, L K & Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Dynamics of Endogenous Growth," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(5), pages 777-790, August.
- Michel, Philippe, 1990. "Some Clarifications on the Transversality Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 705-723, May.
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- Rupa Chakrabarti, 1999. "Endogenous fertility and growth in a model with old age support," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 13(2), pages 393-416.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Zhang, Junsen, 1992.
"Pay-as-you-go public pensions with endogenous fertility,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 239-258, July.
- Nishimura, K. & Zhang, J., 1990. "Pay-As-You-Go Public Pensions With Endogenous Fertility," Papers 202, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- George B. Roberts, Chairman, Universities-National Bureau Committee for Economic Research, 1960. "Demographic and Economic Change in Developed Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number univ60-2, Enero.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1985. "Endogenous fertility and optimal population size," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 93-106, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00185259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.