Pareto-efficiency and endogenous fertility: a simple model
This article is devoted to the study of the Pareto-efficiency of the competitive equilibrium for a simple overlapping generations economy with endogenous fertility. For CES utility and production functions, it is proved that the economic properties of the economy are closely related to the two elasticitiesof substitution. First, the competitive equilibrium exists and is unique if the sum of the two elasticities is not smaller than one. Secondly, a set of parameters is provided such that the equilibrium is both in under-accumulation and inefficient. Thirdly, a sufficient condition is proved that ensures that an equilibrium converging in under-accumulation is Pareto-efficient: the sum of the two elasticities must not be greater than two.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Mathematical Population Studies, 2009, 16, 1, 36-59|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00306463|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2006.
"Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth,"
05-012, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," NBER Working Papers 10231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004. "Efficiency with endogenous population growth," Working Papers 630, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2003. "Effciency with Endogenous Population Growth," Levine's Working Paper Archive 666156000000000310, David K. Levine.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones, 2004. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," 2004 Meeting Papers 8, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Birdsall, Nancy, 1988. "Economic approaches to population growth," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 477-542 Elsevier.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Eduardo L. Giménez & Mikel Pérez-Nievas, 2010.
"Millian Efficiency with Endogenous Fertility,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(1), pages 154-187.
- Mikel Perez-Nievas & Eduardo L. Gimenez & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz, 2007. "Millian efficiency with endogenous fertility," 2007 Meeting Papers 338, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Eduardo L. Giménez & Mikel Pérez-Nievas, . "Millian Efficiency with Endogenous Fertility," Working Papers 2004-13, FEDEA.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Eduardo L. Gimenez & Mikel Perez-Nievas, 2006. "Millian Efficiency with Endogenous Fertility," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0037, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Population growth and optimality. When does serendipity hold?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel, Philippe & Pestieau, P, 1993. "Population Growth and Optimality: When Does Serendipity Hold?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 353-62, November.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2005.
"The Baby Boom and Baby Bust,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 183-207, March.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1985. "Endogenous fertility and optimal population size," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 93-106, June.
- Philippe Michel & Bertrand Wigniolle, 2007.
"On Efficient Child Making,"
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 307-326, May.
- Philippe Michel & Bertrand Wigniolle, 2007. "On Efficient Child Making," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00185259, HAL.
- Gary S. Becker, 1960. "An Economic Analysis of Fertility," NBER Chapters, in: Demographic and Economic Change in Developed Countries, pages 209-240 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Ben-Zion, Uri, 1975. "An Intergenerational Model of Population Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 923-33, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521806428 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521001151 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521017039 is not listed on IDEAS
- Willis, Robert J, 1973. "A New Approach to the Economic Theory of Fertility Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S14-64, Part II, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00306463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.