Pareto-Efficiency and Endogenous Fertility: A Simple Model
Pareto-efficiency of the competitive equilibrium is studied for a simple economy with overlapping generations and endogenous fertility. For CES utility and production functions, the properties of the economy are closely related to the two elasticities of substitution. The competitive equilibrium exists and is unique if the sum of the two elasticities is not less than one. For certain parameters, the equilibrium is both in under-accumulation and inefficient. When the sum of the two elasticities is greater than two, an equilibrium converging in under-accumulation is Pareto-efficient.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GMPS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GMPS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckstein, Zvi & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1985. "Endogenous fertility and optimal population size," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 93-106, June.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004.
"Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
10231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2006. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," Discussion Papers 05-012, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones & Michele Tertilt, 2004. "Efficiency with endogenous population growth," Working Papers 630, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E Jones & Michèle Tertilt, 2003. "Effciency with Endogenous Population Growth," Levine's Working Paper Archive 666156000000000310, David K. Levine.
- Mikhail Golosov & Larry E. Jones, 2004. "Efficiency with Endogenous Population Growth," 2004 Meeting Papers 8, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Eduardo L. Giménez & Mikel Pérez-Nievas, .
"Millian Efficiency with Endogenous Fertility,"
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Eduardo L. Gimenez & Mikel Perez-Nievas, 2006. "Millian Efficiency with Endogenous Fertility," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0037, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- Mikel Perez-Nievas & Eduardo L. Gimenez & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz, 2007. "Millian efficiency with endogenous fertility," 2007 Meeting Papers 338, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Philippe Michel & Bertrand Wigniolle, 2007.
"On Efficient Child Making,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Michel, Philippe & Pestieau, P, 1993.
"Population Growth and Optimality: When Does Serendipity Hold?,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 6(4), pages 353-62, November.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Population growth and optimality. When does serendipity hold?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- Razin, Assaf & Ben-Zion, Uri, 1975. "An Intergenerational Model of Population Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 923-33, December.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2002.
"The Baby Boom and Baby Bust,"
Economie d'Avant Garde Research Reports
1, Economie d'Avant Garde.
- Birdsall, Nancy, 1988. "Economic approaches to population growth," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 477-542 Elsevier.
- Willis, Robert J, 1973. "A New Approach to the Economic Theory of Fertility Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S14-64, Part II, .
- Gary S. Becker, 1960. "An Economic Analysis of Fertility," NBER Chapters, in: Demographic and Economic Change in Developed Countries, pages 209-240 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:mpopst:v:16:y:2009:i:1:p:36-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.