Les consentements à payer pour des programmes de prévention sanitaire incluent-ils de l'altruisme ? Enseignements d'une enquête sur la fièvre Q
Increasingly, the assessment of health prevention policies is evaluated through willingness to pay (WTP) surveys. When the evaluation deals with policies with a public dimension, the individual's stated WTP can reflect an altruistic component, which may alter the results of the economic valuation. By applying an expected utility framework in a contingent valuation survey on Q fever, we can determine the individuals who integrate an altruistic component in their stated WTP (or not) that we further explain by explanatory variables. The main result is that 66 percent of respondents express an altruistic component when they state their WTP for the collective program. The part devoted to an altruistic motive is on average equal to 3,6 euro, nearly 25 percent of the considered WTP.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue Economique, Presses de Sciences Po, 2004, 55 (5), pp.923-945|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00150088|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Stephen, 2003. "Sickness and preventive medical behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 675-689, July.
- Edi Karni & Zvi Safra, 2002. "Individual Sense of Justice: A Utility Representation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 263-284, January.
- McConnell, K. E., 1997. "Does Altruism Undermine Existence Value?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 22-37, January.
- Elisabetta Strazzera & Margarita Genius & Riccardo Scarpa & George Hutchinson, 2003. "The Effect of Protest Votes on the Estimates of WTP for Use Values of Recreational Sites," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(4), pages 461-476, August.
- Per-Olov Johansson, 1992. "Altruism in cost-benefit analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(6), pages 605-613, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00150088. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.