La croissance démographique dans les modèles à générations imbriquées
In this paper, we develop a continuous time overlapping generations model to analyze the relationship between demographic growth rate and the interest rate. We show there exists a finite demographic growth rate that minimizes the interest rate. This implies that the relation between the two variables is not monotonic. We provide a theoretical characterization of the growth rate that minimizes the interest rate and explain why standard overlapping generations models proposed by Diamond  and Blanchard  systematically exhibit an increasing relationship between the demographic growth rate and the interest rate.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00630245|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boucekkine, Raouf & de la Croix, David & Licandro, Omar, 2002.
"Vintage Human Capital, Demographic Trends, and Endogenous Growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 340-375, June.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & de la Croix, David & Licandro, Omar, 2000. "Vintage Human Capital, Demographic Trends and Endogenous Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Andrew B. Abel, 2002.
"The effects of a baby boom on stock prices and capital accumulation in the presence of Social Security,"
03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Andrew B. Abel, 2003. "The Effects of a Baby Boom on Stock Prices and Capital Accumulation in the Presence of Social Security," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 551-578, March.
- Andrew B. Abel, 2002. "The Effects of a Baby Boom on Stock Prices and Capital Accumulation in the Presence of Social Security," NBER Working Papers 9210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1996. "Equilibrium for Overlapping Generations in Continuous Time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 364-390, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1986. "Death, Population Growth, Productivity Growth and Debt Neutrality," NBER Working Papers 2027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antoine Bommier & Ronald D. Lee, 2003. "Overlapping generations models with realistic demography," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 135-160, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00630245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.