Estimating the Beveridge Curve of Egypt: An Econometric Study for the Period 2004 to 2010
This paper estimates the Beveridge curve of Egypt for the period 2004 to 2010, using quarterly data for the both the private sector and the public sector. Our results confirm the negative relationship between unemployment and private job offers for the Egyptian labor market. The Beveridge curve has shifted inwards during the observation period, indicating an improved matching process between labor supply and private labor demand. However, the results for the public sector are poor, showing the Beveridge curve relation cannot be used to explain the relationship between government sector vacancy rates and the unemployment rate.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mgt.guc.edu.eg/economics/RePEc/guc/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Webster, Elizabeth, 1999. "Labour Market Programs and the Australian Beveridge Curve: 1978 to 1997," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 405-16, December.
- Drine, Imed & Bou Abid, Anis, 2010.
"Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labor market: Evidence from Tunisia,"
21994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abid, Anis Bou & Drine, Imed, 2011. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labour market: Evidence from Tunisia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1131-1139, May.
- Anis Bou Abid & Imed Drine, 2010. "Efficiency Frontier and Matching Process on the Labour Market: Evidence from Tunisia," Working Paper Series wp2010-123, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Richard Archambault & Mario Fortin, 2001. "The Beveridge curve and unemployment fluctuations in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 58-81, February.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages,"
546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1980. "On the Existence and Secular Stability of u-v Loci," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 35-50, February.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Cahuc & AndrÃ© Zylberberg, 2004. "Labor Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026203316x, June.
- Katharine G. Abraham, 1987. "Help-Wanted Advertising, Job Vacancies, and Unemployment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 207-248.
- Rodenburg, Peter, 2007. "The Remarkable Place of the UV-Curve in Economic Theory," MPRA Paper 5823, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hansen, Bent, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Hoyt Bleakley & Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 1997. "Shifts in the Beveridge Curve, job matching, and labor market dynamics," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-19.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:guc:wpaper:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lobna Sameer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.