Causes of the Decline of Economic Growth in Italy and the Responsibility of EURO. A Balance-of-Payments Approach
Some countries of the Euro-zone have experienced a declining economic growth more pronounced in the last recent years, like Italy. The aim of this paper is to investigate the causes of the poor growth performance in Italy and the responsibility of the Euro for this crisis. The theoretical approach applied is based on the balance-of-payments constraint hypothesis (known as Thirlwall’s Law) adapted to include internal and external imbalances. Our empirical analysis shows that both the extended model and the original Thirlwall’s Law over-predict the actual growth in Italy suggesting that there are supply constraints that encumber the economy from growing faster. Another conclusion is that part of the decline in economic growth is explained by the loss of competiveness during the Euro period. A scenarios analysis shows that a budget deficit and public debt discipline aiming at achieving the goals of the Stability Pact are not significant stimulus for faster growth. On the other hand, reducing the import dependence of the components of demand, or reducing the import and increasing the export shares in the economy are the most effective policies for fostering growth in Italy.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charalambos Pattichis, 2001. "Trade, Growth, and Monetary Union," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 24(1), pages 125-147, October.
- Nelson H. Barbosa Filho, 2002. "The Balance-of-payments Constraint: From Balanced Trade to Sustainable Debt," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2001-06, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Julio López G. & Alberto Cruz B., 2000. ""Thirlwall's Law" and beyond: The Latin American Experience," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(3), pages 477-495, April.
- Carlos Garcimartín & Luis Rivas & Pilar García Martínez, 2010.
"On the Role of Relative Prices and Capital Flows in Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth: the Experiences of Portugal and Spain in the Euro Area,"
Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales
05-10, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Carlos GarcimartÃn & Luis A. Rivas & Pilar GarcÃa MartÃnez, 2010. "On the role of relative prices and capital flows in balance-of-payments-constrained growth: the experiences of Portugal and Spain in the euro area," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 281-306, January.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2009. "Long-Run Growth in Open Economies: Export-Led Cumulative Causation or a Balance-of-Payments Constraint?," Working Papers 2009-23, American University, Department of Economics.
- Alberto Bagnai, 2010. "Structural changes, cointegration and the empirics of Thirlwall's law," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(10), pages 1315-1329.
- Thirlwall, Anthony P & Hussain, Mohammed Nureldin, 1982. "The Balance of Payments Constraint, Capital Flows and Growth Rate Differences between Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 498-510, November.
- Soukiazis, Elias & Cerqueira, Pedro A. & Antunes, Micaela, 2012. "Modelling economic growth with internal and external imbalances: Empirical evidence from Portugal," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 478-486.
- Theodore Pelagidis & Evangelia Desli, 2004. "Deficits, growth, and the current slowdown: what role for fiscal policy?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 26(3), pages 461-469, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.