Measuring firms’ financial constraints: Evidence for Portugal through different approaches
Today's shortage of financial resources calls for the attention of researchers to the problem of financial constraints faced by firms. In this paper we analyse firms' financial constraints by estimating both investment-cash flow sensitivities and cash-cash flow sensitivities upon a large unbalanced panel of Portuguese firms in order to obtain robust findings. Additionally, we classify firms according to characteristics that are generally believed to indicate the presence of constraints (size, age and dividend payment). Our results clearly show that Portuguese firms are, in general, financially constrained. Furthermore, we verify that such constraints are more severe for certain groups of firms, in particular those firms that are smaller and do not pay dividends. However, we do not find evidence that age as a good proxy for financial constraints. Finally, we cast some doubts on the direct implementation of the SA index as a measure of financial constraints.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Zingales, Luigi, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215, February.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2005.
"Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis,"
GEMF Working Papers
2005-07, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006. "Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 139-156, October.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aydogan Alti, 2003. "How Sensitive Is Investment to Cash Flow When Financing Is Frictionless?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 707-722, 04.
- Luís Cabral, 2007. "Small firms in Portugal: a selective survey of stylized facts, economic analysis, and policy implications," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 65-88, April.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quere, 2010.
"Market Selection Along the Firm Life Cycle,"
in: Innovation, Economic Growth and the Firm, chapter 5
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005.
"Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007. "Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yi-Chen Lin, 2007. "The cash flow sensitivity of cash: evidence from Taiwan," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(12), pages 1013-1024.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen Lamont & Christopher Polk & Jesus Saa-Requejo, 1997.
"Financial Constraints and Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
6210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"The Impact of Financial Constaints on Firm Survival and Growth,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2007-37, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The impact of financial constraints on firm survival and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 135-149, April.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth," Sciences Po publications 2007-37, Sciences Po.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004. "The Cash Flow Sensitivity of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1777-1804, 08.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1996.
"Are there financing constraints for R&D and investment in German manufacturing firms?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
96-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dietmar HARHOFF, 1998. "Are there Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 49-50, pages 421-456.
- Dietmar Harhoff, 1997. "Are There Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms?," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-45, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Alex Coad, 2009.
"Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2009-23, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4, pages 1-30.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Michael T. Hannan, 2005. "Ecologies of Organizations: Diversity and Identity," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 51-70, Winter.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Ann Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Beno�t Mulkay, 2003. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom: A Comparison Using Company Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 153-165, February.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2010-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.