Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services
I examine the effects of FCC regulation on the innovation and introduction of advanced telecommunications services in the U.S. An interim of lighter regulation provides an "experiment" to test the regulatory regime's impact on innovation. The econometric model comprises an arrival process (for service innovation) followed by a duration process (for regulatory delay). The number of services the firms created created during the interim is 60-99% higher than the model predicts they would have if the stricter regulation had still been in place. Overall, firms would have introduced 62% more services to consumers during the study period if the regulation had not been in place.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of California Davis - Department of Economics. One Shields Ave., California 95616-8578|
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Prieger, 2002.
"Regulation, Innovation, and the Introduction of New Telecommunications Services,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 704-715, November.
- James E. Prieger, "undated". "Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services," Department of Economics 00-08, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services," Working Papers 08, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-370, March.
- Trond Petersen, 1986. "Estimating Fully Parametric Hazard Rate Models with Time-Dependent Covariates," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 14(3), pages 219-246, February.
- Greenstein, Shane & McMaster, Susan & Spiller, Pablo T, 1995. "The Effect of Incentive Regulation on Infrastructure Modernization: Local Exchange Companies' Deployment of Digital Technology," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 187-236, Summer.
- Sappington, David E. M. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1996. "Potential pitfalls in empirical investigations of the effects of incentive regulation plans in the telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-140, June.
- Joskow, Paul L. & Rose, Nancy L., 1989. "The effects of economic regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 25, pages 1449-1506 Elsevier.
- Paul Joskow & Nancy L. Rose, 1987. "The Effects of Economic Regulation," Working papers 447, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters,in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-526, June.
- Quandt, Richard E., 1983. "Computational problems and methods," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 699-764 Elsevier.
- Ai, Chunrong & Sappington, David E M, 2002. "The Impact of State Incentive Regulation on the U.S. Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 133-159, September.
- Gourieroux, C. & Visser, M., 1997. "A count data model with unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 247-268, August.
- Mulligan, James G. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1998. "Daycare Quality and Regulation: A Queuing-Theoretic Approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-13, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)