Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services
I examine the effects of FCC regulation on the innovation and introduction of advanced telecommunications services in the U.S. An interim of lighter regulation provides an "experiment" to test the regulatory regime's impact on innovation. The econometric model comprises an arrival process (for service innovation) followed by a duration process (for regulatory delay). The number of services the firms created created during the interim is 60-99% higher than the model predicts they would have if the stricter regulation had still been in place. Overall, firms would have introduced 62% more services to consumers during the study period if the regulation had not been in place.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Joskow & Nancy L. Rose, 1987.
"The Effects of Economic Regulation,"
447, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-26, June.
- Greenstein, Shane & McMaster, Susan & Spiller, Pablo T, 1995. "The Effect of Incentive Regulation on Infrastructure Modernization: Local Exchange Companies' Deployment of Digital Technology," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 187-236, Summer.
- James E. Prieger, .
"Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services,"
Department of Economics
00-08, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- James E. Prieger, 2002. "Regulation, Innovation, and the Introduction of New Telecommunications Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 704-715, November.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services," Working Papers 08, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Ai, Chunrong & Sappington, David E M, 2002. "The Impact of State Incentive Regulation on the U.S. Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 133-59, September.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
- Mulligan, James G. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1998. "Daycare Quality and Regulation: A Queuing-Theoretic Approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Quandt, Richard E., 1983. "Computational problems and methods," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 699-764 Elsevier.
- Sappington, David E. M. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1996. "Potential pitfalls in empirical investigations of the effects of incentive regulation plans in the telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-140, June.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
- Gourieroux, C. & Visser, M., 1997. "A count data model with unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 247-268, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:caldec:00-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.