Telecommunications Regulation and New Services: a Case Study at the State Level
The effects that regulation has on the innovation and the introduction of new telecommunications services have not been previously quantified in the literature. This study compares state-regulated services in Indiana under rate of return regulation (RoRR) and under alternative regulation. The econometric model comprises an count process (for innovation) followed by a duration process with selection (for regulatory delay). Moving away from RoRR increased the rate of service creation to three times the old rate. Expected approval delays nearly disappear. A prediction exercise indicates that the firm would have introduced 12 times as many services to consumers if the alternative regulation had been in place the entire time.
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ai, Chunrong & Sappington, David E M, 2002. "The Impact of State Incentive Regulation on the U.S. Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 133-59, September.
- Greenstein, Shane & McMaster, Susan & Spiller, Pablo T, 1995. "The Effect of Incentive Regulation on Infrastructure Modernization: Local Exchange Companies' Deployment of Digital Technology," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 187-236, Summer.
- Barten, Anton P., 1997. "Annual report 1996," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 971-973, April.
- James E. Prieger, 2003.
"Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services,"
08, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- James E. Prieger, 2002. "Regulation, Innovation, and the Introduction of New Telecommunications Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 704-715, November.
- James E. Prieger, . "Regulation, Innovation, and the introduction of new telecommunications services," Department of Economics 00-08, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Quandt, Richard E., 1983. "Computational problems and methods," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 699-764 Elsevier.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Haworth, Barry, 1998. "Intensity of competition and the choice between product and process innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 495-510, July.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Sappington, David E. M. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1996. "Potential pitfalls in empirical investigations of the effects of incentive regulation plans in the telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-140, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cda:wpaper:00-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Scott Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.