Rural non-farm development in China and India
The dynamic rural nonfarm sector in China has been a major contributor to the country's remarkable growth, while in India the growth in output and employment in this sector has been rather stagnant. The paper argues that the observed patterns in the rural nonfarm development are the results of institutional differences between the two countries, especially in their political systems, ownership structure, and credit institutions. A review of the strengths and weaknesses of the rural nonfarm economy in China and India highlights the potentials and challenges of growth in the sector.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harm Zebregs & Wanda Tseng, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: Some Lessons for Other Countries," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 02/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Kashyap, S. P., 1988. "Growth of small-size enterprises in India: Its nature and content," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 667-681, June.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Tan, Kong-Yam, 2004. "Blunt to sharpened razor," DSGD discussion papers 13, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Hazell, P. B. R. & Thorat, Sukhadeo, 1999. "Linkages between government spending, growth, and poverty in rural India:," Research reports 110, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2003.
"Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2005. "Spatial inequality in education and health care in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-204.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Ravi Kanbur, 2004. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," Working Papers 159, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "Spatial Inequality In Education And Health Care In China," Working Papers 127256, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2004.
"Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey Through Central Planning, Reform and Openness,"
158, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2005. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: a Journey Through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 87-106, 02.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2004. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mukherjee, Anit N. & Kuroda, Yoshimi, 2003. "Productivity growth in Indian agriculture: is there evidence of convergence across states?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 43-53, July.
- Lal, Deepak, 1995.
"India and China: Contrasts in economic liberalization?,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1475-1494, September.
- Deepak Lal, 1993. "India and China: Contrasts in Economic Liberalization," UCLA Economics Working Papers 706, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Tsai, Kellee S., 2004. "Imperfect Substitutes: The Local Political Economy of Informal Finance and Microfinance in Rural China and India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1487-1507, September.
- Shenggen Fan & Xiaobo Zhang & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Structural Change and Economic Growth in China," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 360-377, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:dsgddp:24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.