Econometric Estimation of the “Constant Elasticity of Substitution" Function in R: Package micEconCES
The Constant Elasticity of Substitution (CES) function is popular in several areas of economics, but it is rarely used in econometric analysis because it cannot be estimated by standard linear regression techniques. We discuss several existing approaches and propose a new grid-search approach for estimating the traditional CES function with two inputs as well as nested CES functions with three and four inputs. Furthermore, we demonstrate how these approaches can be applied in R using the add-on package micEconCES and we describe how the various estimation approaches are implemented in the micEconCES package. Finally, we illustrate the usage of this package by replicating some estimations of CES functions that are reported in the literature.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ifro.ku.dk/english/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sato, 1967. "A Two-Level Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Production Function," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 201-218.
- Mishra, SK, 2006. "A Note on Numerical Estimation of Sato’s Two-Level CES Production Function," MPRA Paper 1019, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Dec 2006.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, September.
- Mullen, Katharine M. & Ardia, David & Gil, David L. & Windover, Donald & Cline, James, 2011.
"DEoptim: An R Package for Global Optimization by Differential Evolution,"
Journal of Statistical Software,
Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 40(i06).
- Mullen, Katharine M. & Ardia, David & Gil, David L. & Windover, Donald & Cline, James, 2009. "DEoptim: An R Package for Global Optimization by Differential Evolution," MPRA Paper 21743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Dec 2010.
- Pandey, Manish, 2008. "Human capital aggregation and relative wages across countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1587-1601, December.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Marianne Saam, .
"Two-Level CES Production Technology in the Solow and Diamond Growth Models,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-07, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Marianne Saam, 2008. "Two-level CES Production Technology in the Solow and Diamond Growth Models," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(1), pages 119-143, 03.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2007. "Factor Substitution and Factor-Augmenting Technical Progress in the United States: A Normalized Supply-Side System Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 183-192, February.
- León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2009.
"Identifying the elasticity of substitution with biased technical change,"
Working Paper Series
1001, European Central Bank.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2010. "Identifying the Elasticity of Substitution with Biased Technical Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1330-57, September.
- Winford H. Masanjala & Chris Papageorgiou, 2004. "The Solow model with CES technology: nonlinearities and parameter heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 171-201.
- Richard Anderson & William Greene & B. D. McCullough & H. D. Vinod, 2008. "The role of data/code archives in the future of economic research," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 99-119.
- Klump, Rainer & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2008. "Editorial introduction The CES production function in the theory and empirics of economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 599-600, June.
- Henningsen, Arne & Hamann, Jeff D., 2007. "systemfit: A Package for Estimating Systems of Simultaneous Equations in R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 23(i04).
- Kemfert, Claudia, 1998. "Estimated substitution elasticities of a nested CES production function approach for Germany," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 249-264, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:foi:wpaper:2011_9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geir Tveit)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.