Pay with Promises or Pay as You Go? Lessons from the Death Spiral of Detroit
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Buchmueller & John Dinardo, 2002.
"Did Community Rating Induce an Adverse Selection Death Spiral? Evidence from New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 280-294, March.
- Thomas Buchmueller & John DiNardo, 1999. "Did Community Rating Induce an Adverse Selection Death Spiral? Evidencefrom New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut," NBER Working Papers 6872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Bassetto & Leslie McGranahan, 2009.
"On the relationship between mobility, population growth, and capital spending in the United States,"
Working Paper Series
WP-09-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marco Bassetto & Leslie McGranahan, 2011. "On the Relationship Between Mobility, Population Growth, and Capital Spending in the United States," NBER Working Papers 16970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leslie McGranahan & Marco Bassetto, 2010. "On the Relationship between Mobility, Population Growth, and Capital Spending in the United States," 2010 Meeting Papers 229, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979. "On the Determination of the Public Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-971, October.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1989.
"On the political economy of land value capitalization and local public sector rent seeking in a Tiebout model,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 152-173, September.
- Joseph Gyourko & Joseph S. Tracy, 1986. "On the Political Economy of Land Value Capitalization and Local Public Sector Rent-Seeking in a Tiebout Model," NBER Working Papers 1919, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Schmitz Jr., 2005.
"What Determines Productivity? Lessons from the Dramatic Recovery of the U.S. and Canadian Iron Ore Industries Following Their Early 1980s Crisis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 582-625, June.
- James A. Schmitz, 2005. "What determines productivity? lessons from the dramatic recovery of the U.S. and Canadian iron-ore industries following their early 1980s crisis," Staff Report 286, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Xavier Gabaix, 1999. "Zipf's Law for Cities: An Explanation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(3), pages 739-767.
- Inman, Robert P., 1982. "Public employee pensions and the local labor budget," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 49-71, October.
- Dennis Epple & Katherine Schipper, 1981. "Municipal pension funding: A theory and some evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 141-178, January.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1989. "Local public sector rent-seeking and its impact on local land values," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 493-516, August.
More about this item
KeywordsCity growth; Pay with promises; Death spiral; Defined benefit pension plans; Retiree health benefits; Detroit;
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- R51 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Finance in Urban and Rural Economies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2014-07-21 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2014-07-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-URE-2014-07-21 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmsr:501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbmnus.html .