Is It Too Late to Bail Out the Troubled Countries in the Eurozone?
In January 1995, U.S. President Bill Clinton organized a bailout for Mexico that imposed penalty interest rates and induced the Mexican government to reduce its debt, ending the debt crisis. Can the Troika (European Commission, European Central Bank, and International Monetary Fund) organize similar bailouts for the troubled countries in the Eurozone? Our analysis suggests that debt levels are so high that bailouts with penalty interest rates could induce the Eurozone governments to default rather than reduce their debt. A resumption of economic growth is one of the few ways that the Eurozone crises can end.
|Date of creation:||05 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Hennepin Avenue, P.O. Box 291, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0291|
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2017.
"Gambling for redemption and self-fulfilling debt crises,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 64(4), pages 707-740, December.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2012. "Gambling for redemption and self-fulfilling debt crises," Staff Report 465, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy Kehoe & Juan Carlos Conesa, 2012. "Gambling for Redemption and Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," 2012 Meeting Papers 614, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2015. "Gambling for Redemption and Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," NBER Working Papers 21026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2000. "Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(1), pages 91-116.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmsr:497. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.