Low Real Interest Rates, Collateral Misrepresentation, and Monetary Policy
A model is constructed in which households and banks have incentives to fake the quality of collateral. These incentive problems matter when collateral is scarce in the aggregate when real interest rates are low. Conventional monetary easing can exacerbate these problems, in that the misrepresentation of collateral becomes more pro table, thus increasing haircuts and interest rate differentials. Central bank purchases of private mortgages may not be feasible, due to misrepresentation of asset quality. If feasible, central bank asset purchase programs work by circumventing suboptimal fi scal policy, not by mitigating incentive problems in asset markets. (Previously circulated under the title,"Central Bank Purchases of Private Assets.")
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2014|
|Date of revision:||29 Aug 2014|
|Note:||Previously circulated under the title "Central Bank Purchases of Private Assets."|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geromichalos, Athanasios & Herrenbrueck, Lucas M. & Salyer, Kevin D., 2016.
"A search-theoretic model of the term premium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 11(3), September.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Lucas Herrenbrueck & Kevin Salyer, 2013. "A Search-Theoretic Model of the Term Premium," Working Papers 138, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2014. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Macroeconomics Annual, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 227-270.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2013, Volume 28, pages 227-270 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Working Papers 19009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Sanches, Daniel & Williamson, Stephen, 2010. "Money and credit with limited commitment and theft," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(4), pages 1525-1549, July.
- Williamson, Stephen & Sanches, Daniel, 2009. "Money and Credit With Limited Commitment and Theft," MPRA Paper 20690, University Library of Munich, Germany.