The lender of last resort: lessons from the Fed’s first 100 years
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Wall, Larry D. & Peterson, David R., 1990.
"The effect of Continental Illinois' failure on the financial performance of other banks,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-99, August.
- Larry D. Wall & David R. Peterson, 1989. "The effect of Continental Illinois' failure on the financial performance of other banks," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 89-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Charles Calomiris & David Wheelock, 1998.
"Was the Great Depression a Watershed for American Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Defining Moment: The Great Depression and the American Economy in the Twentieth Century, pages 23-66
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles W. Calomiris & David C. Wheelock, 1997. "Was the Great Depression a Watershed for American Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 5963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Carlson & Jonathan D. Rose, 2015.
"Credit Availability and the Collapse of the Banking Sector in the 1930s,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 47(7), pages 1239-1271, October.
- Mark A. Carlson & Jonathan D. Rose, 2011. "Credit availability and the collapse of the banking sector in the 1930s," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gary Richardson & William Troost, 2009. "Monetary Intervention Mitigated Banking Panics during the Great Depression: Quasi-Experimental Evidence from a Federal Reserve District Border, 1929-1933," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(6), pages 1031-1073, December.
- Miron, Jeffrey A, 1986. "Financial Panics, the Seasonality of the Nominal Interest Rate, and theFounding of the Fed," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 125-140, March.
- Mark Carlson & Kris James Mitchener & Gary Richardson, 2011. "Arresting Banking Panics: Federal Reserve Liquidity Provision and the Forgotten Panic of 1929," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(5), pages 889-924.
- Hafer, R. W. & Wheelock, David C., 2013.
"Darryl Francis and the Making of Monetary Policy, 1966-1975,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 469-486.
- R. W. Hafer & David C. Wheelock, 2003. "Darryl Francis and the making of monetary policy, 1966-1975," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 1-12.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000.
"Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria, Jan 17.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994. "Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria, Jan 17.
- Charles Goodhart, 1999. "Myths About the Lender of Last Resort," FMG Special Papers sp120, Financial Markets Group.
- Nelson, Edward, 2013. "Friedman's monetary economics in practice," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 59-83.
- Richard S. Grossman, 2010. "Unsettled Account: The Evolution of Banking in the Industrialized World since 1800," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 9219.
- Franklin R. Edward, 1999. "Hedge Funds and the Collapse of Long-Term Capital Management," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 189-210, Spring.
- Murray, Roger F, 1971. "The Penn Central Debacle: Lessons for Financial Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 327-332, May.
- Romer, Christina D., 1992. "What Ended the Great Depression?," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(04), pages 757-784, December.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1996.
"Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195101133.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number eich92-1.
- R. Alton Gilbert & Kevin L. Kliesen & Andrew P. Meyer & David C. Wheelock, 2012. "Federal Reserve lending to troubled banks during the financial crisis, 2007-10," Working Papers 2012-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2014. "Lessons learned for monetary policy from the recent crisis," mBank - CASE Seminar Proceedings 130, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Douglas J. Elliott & Greg Feldberg & Andreas Lehnert, 2013. "The history of cyclical macroprudential policy in the United States," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael D. Bordo, 2014. "Lessons learned for monetary policy from the recent crisis," CASE-CEU Working Papers 0130, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2013. "A Century of US Central Banking: Goals, Frameworks, Accountability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 3-16, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 2013. "A Century of U.S. Central Banking: Goals, Frameworks, Accountability : a speech at the "The First 100 Years of the Federal Reserve: The Policy Record, Lessons Learned, and Prospects for the Futur," Speech 617, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pistor, Katharina, 2013. "A legal theory of finance," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 315-330.
More about this item
KeywordsFederal Reserve banks ; Banks and banking; Central ; Discount window;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-12-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2012-12-15 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2012-12-15 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MON-2012-12-15 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2012-056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kathy Cosgrove). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbslus.html .