Two equivalence theorems for government finance
This paper studies the effects of a path change in government debt composition and aggregate transfers on allocations and prices. It is shown that the effects are zero under some agent-specific transfer scheme even when markets are incomplete. If markets are complete, then the effects are zero under any transfer scheme that leaves each agent's lifetime resource unchanged if and only if agents are always collectively compensated for next period's return change. The infinite-horizon framework used has an arbitrary number of assets with arbitrary returns and an arbitrary mixture of finitely and infinitely lived agents.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/ifdp/order.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamley, Christophe & Polemarchakis, Herakles, 1984. "Assets, General Equilibrium and the Neutrality of Money," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 129-38, January.
- Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H. M., 1995.
"The relevance of financial policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1133-1154, June.
- Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H.M., . "The relevance of financial policy," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1157, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H., 1990. "The relevance of financial policy," CORE Discussion Papers 1990011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- J. Detemple & P. Gottardi & H. M. Polemarchakis, 1989. "The Relevance of Financial Policy," Discussion Paper Serie A 262, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H., 1989. "The Relevance Of Financial Policy," Papers fb-89-11, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1974.
"On the Irrelevance of Corporate Financial Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 851-66, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gottardi, P., 1990.
"An Analysis Of The Conditions For The Validity Of Modigliani-Miller Theorem With Incomplete Markets,"
157, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Gottardi, Piero, 1995. "An Analysis of the Conditions for the Validity of Modigliani-Miller Theorem with Incomplete Markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 191-207, March.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Bryant, John & Wallace, Neil, 1984. "A Price Discrimination Analysis of Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 279-88, April.
- Wallace, Neil, 1981. "A Modigliani-Miller Theorem for Open-Market Operations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 267-74, June.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- DeMarzo, Peter M., 1988. "An extension of the Modigliani-Miller theorem to stochastic economies with incomplete markets and interdependent securities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 353-369, August.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Brock, William A, 1974. "Money and Growth: The Case of Long Run Perfect Foresight," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(3), pages 750-77, October.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1967.
"A Re-Examination of the Modigliani Miller Theorem,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
242, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hernandez D., Alejandro & Santos, Manuel S., 1996. "Competitive Equilibria for Infinite-Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 102-130, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgif:622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.