An Algorithm for Generalized Impulse-Response Functions in Markov-Switching Structural VAR
We transpose the Generalized Impulse-Response Function (GIRF) developed by Koop et al. (1996) to Markov-Switching structural VARs. As the algorithm displays an exponentially increasing complexity as regards the prediction horizon, we use the collapsing technique to easily obtain simulated trajectories (shocked or not), even for the most general representations. Our approach encompasses the existing IRFs proposed in the literature and is illustrated with an applied example on gross job flows.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chauvet, Marcelle, 1998. "An Econometric Characterization of Business Cycle Dynamics with Factor Structure and Regime Switching," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 969-96, November.
- Kim, C-J., 1991.
"Dynamic Linear Models with Markov-Switching,"
91-8, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Engel, Charles & Hamilton, James D, 1990. "Long Swings in the Dollar: Are They in the Data and Do Markets Know It?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 689-713, September.
- Frédéric Karamé, 2010.
"Impulse-Response Functions in Markov-Switching Structural Vector AutoRegressions: a Step Further,"
Documents de recherche
10-03, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Karamé, F., 2010. "Impulse-response functions in Markov-switching structural vector autoregressions: A step further," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 162-165, March.
- Weise, Charles L, 1999. "The Asymmetric Effects of Monetary Policy: A Nonlinear Vector Autoregression Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 85-108, February.
- Ehrmann , Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2001.
"Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model,"
Research Discussion Papers
11/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2003. "Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 295-299, March.
- Artis, M. & Krolzig, H.-M. & Toro, J., 1999.
"The European Business Cycle,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/24, European University Institute.
- Artis, Michael J & Krolzig, Hans-Martin & Toro, Juan, 1999. "The European Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2242, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mike Artis & Hans-Martin Krolzig & Juan Toro, 2002. "The European Business Cycle," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/19, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Sensier, Marianne & Osborn, Denise R & Ocal, Nadir, 2002.
" Asymmetric Interest Rate Effects for the UK Real Economy,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 315-39, September.
- M Sensier & D R Osborn & N Öcal, 2002. "Asymmetric Interest Rate Effects for the UK Real Economy," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 10, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel, 2013.
"Commodity prices and the business cycle in Latin America: Living and dying by commodities?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2014. "Commodity Prices and the Business Cycle in Latin America: Living and Dying by Commodities?," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(2), pages 110-137, March.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2013. "Commodity prices and the business cycle in Latin America: Living and dying by commodities," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 1304, Banco de Espa�a.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Steven J. Davis & R. Jason Faberman & John Haltiwanger, 2006.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets: New Data Sources and Micro-Macro Links,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 3-26, Summer.
- Steven J. Davis & R. Jason Faberman & John Haltiwanger, 2006. "The Flow Approach to Labor Markets: New Data Sources and Micro-Macro Links," NBER Working Papers 12167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Filardo, Andrew J, 1994.
"Business-Cycle Phases and Their Transitional Dynamics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 299-308, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Filardo JBES 1994 paper with time-varying Markov switching," Statistical Software Components RTZ00059, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew J. Filardo, 1993. "Business cycle phases and their transitional dynamics," Research Working Paper 93-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002.
"Regime Switches in Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 163-82, April.
- Terasvirta, Timo, 1995. "Modelling Nonlinearity in U.S. Gross National Product 1889-1987," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 577-97.
- John Haltiwanger & Steven J. Davis, 1999.
"On the Driving Forces behind Cyclical Movements in Employment and Job Reallocation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1234-1258, December.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1996. "On the Driving Forces Behind Cyclical Movement, in Employment and Job Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 5775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaudry, Paul & Koop, Gary, 1993. "Do recessions permanently change output?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 149-163, April.
- Simon M. Potter, 1999.
"Nonlinear impulse response functions,"
65, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:12-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.