International Production Networks and Domestic Operations of Japanese Manufacturing Firms: Normal periods and the Global Financial Crisis
The paper investigates the features of production networks of Japanese manufacturing firms and their domestic operations and export/import activities in normal periods and during the Global Financial Crisis (GFC). Our previous empirical studies have shown that firms that expand their operations in East Asia are more likely to expand domestic operations, particularly domestic employment, than firms that do not in normal periods. This study further verifies that such tendency stands during the GFC. Moreover, this paper expands the scope of our series of studies by introducing labor productivity as one of the performance variables and also analyzing changes in the relative and absolute size of headquarters and manufacturing activities over time in order to seek a possible sign of de-industrialization.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keiko Ito & Sébastien Lechevalier, 2009.
"The evolution of the productivity dispersion of firms: a reevaluation of its determinants in the case of Japan,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(3), pages 405-429, October.
- ITO Keiko & Sebastien LECHEVALIER, 2008. "The evolution of the productivity dispersion of firms - A reevaluation of its determinants in the case of Japan," Discussion papers 08014, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Morikawa, Masayuki, 2010. "Labor unions and productivity: An empirical analysis using Japanese firm-level data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1030-1037, December.
- Mona Haddad & Ann Harrison & Catherine Hausman, 2010. "Decomposing the Great Trade Collapse: Products, Prices, and Quantities in the 2008-2009 Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann & Hausman, Catherine, 2011. "Decomposing the great trade collapse : products, prices, and quantities in the 2008-2009 crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5749, The World Bank.
- Sascha O. Becker & Karolina Ekholm & Robert Jäckle & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2005. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(4), pages 693-731, December.
- Becker, Sasha O & Ekholm, Karolina & Jackle, Robert & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2004. "Location Choices and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt2fq490pd, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Ekholm, Karolina & Jäckle, Robert & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2005. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 4887, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sascha Becker & Karolina Ekholm & Robert JÃ¤ckle & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2005. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1374, CESifo Group Munich.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Ekholm, Karolina & Jäckle, Robert & Mündler, Marc-Andreas, 2005. "Location choice and employment decisions: a comparison of German and Swedish multinationals," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Jäckle, Robert & Ekholm, Karolina & Becker, Sascha O., 2004. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," Kiel Working Papers 1243, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sascha Becker & Karolina Ekholm & Robert JÃ¤ckle & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2005. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," ifo Working Paper Series 4, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2013. "Expanding Fragmentation Of Production In East Asia And Domestic Operations: Further Evidence From Japanese Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(01), pages 1-43.
- Alexander HIJZEN & INUI Tomohiko & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "The Effects of Multinational Production on Domestic Performance: Evidence from Japanese Firms," Discussion papers 07006, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Mona Haddad & Ben Shepherd, 2011. "Managing Openness : Trade and Outward-oriented Growth After the Crisis," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2283.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:490 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yamashita, Nobuaki & Fukao, Kyoji, 2010. "Expansion abroad and jobs at home: Evidence from Japanese multinational enterprises," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 88-97, March.
- Nobuaki Yamashita & Kyoji Fukao, 2008. "Expansion Abroad and Jobs at Home: Evidence from Japanese Multinational Enterprises," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 377, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Nobuaki Yamashita & Kyoji Fukao, 2009. "Expansion Abroad and Jobs at Home - Evidence from Japanese Multinational Enterprises," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22707, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mitsuyo ANDO & Fukunari KIMURA, 2012. "How Did the Japanese Exports Respond to Two Crises in the International Production Network?: The Global Financial Crisis and the East Japan Earthquake," Working Papers DP-2012-01, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2005. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labor Demand: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 654, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2006. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labour Demand: Evidence from Sweden," CEPR Discussion Papers 5648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.